Mon, 21st Apr 2014

Echo Business

Magma Global creates 100 new jobs in Southampton by opening new plant

10:15am Thursday 10th January 2013

100 new jobs created by city firm

A DEEP-sea pipe manufacturer is to create 100 new jobs by opening a new plant in Southampton.

Specialist Hampshire-based oil and gas pipeline firm Magma Global is creating the new high-tech facility thanks in part to a £8.76m investment from the Business Growth Fund, which was set up to help small and medium-sized UK businesses.

The new plant, which the company said will be built on a brownfield site in Southampton with deepwater access, will make the next generation of carbon fibre pipes that can enable oil and gas companies to access harsher undersea environments.

With existing technology reaching the limit of their capacity, Magma hopes to capitalise on the need for a composite alternative that can cope with the demands of operating under higher pressures, while offering benefits of weight, resistance to corrosion and ease of installation.

Magma, which currently employs 90 people at its Porstmouth base, is aiming to take advantage of one of the fastest-growing markets within the oil and gas industry, in which British expertise and technology is already leading the world.

Pipelines are expected to account for more than half of the $139bn (£87bn) projected spend on under-sea hardware over the next five years.

The Southampton plant will be able to produce up to 250km of pipe a year.

It will make pipes up to 4km long which can be stored on a spool and taken away by installation vessels from the deep water quay, to export pipe to international markets, and provide a platform for further international expansion.

As well as BGF, Magma has attracted funding from a Canadian specialist energy investor and Danish venture capital firm for the new facility.

Magma’s founder and chief executive, Martin Jones said: “In the last two years we have grown from a team of five to a total workforce of 90 and an order book of in excess of $70m.”

Comments(24)

Comments(24)

southy says...
11:10am Thu 10 Jan 13

Ideal place would be the old Burt Bolton timber yard and quay, plenty of space to have the freedom to expand if needed, plenty of laying down area for the spools and any thing else that they need to store while waiting on a ship.

loosehead says...
11:42am Thu 10 Jan 13

southy wrote:
Ideal place would be the old Burt Bolton timber yard and quay, plenty of space to have the freedom to expand if needed, plenty of laying down area for the spools and any thing else that they need to store while waiting on a ship.
What about the proposed Bio Mass site?

Linesman says...
11:57am Thu 10 Jan 13

Good news that jobs are being created.

Just a pity that we appear to be losing more than we are gaining.

southy says...
12:07pm Thu 10 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
southy wrote:
Ideal place would be the old Burt Bolton timber yard and quay, plenty of space to have the freedom to expand if needed, plenty of laying down area for the spools and any thing else that they need to store while waiting on a ship.
What about the proposed Bio Mass site?
Some thing like that needs to be at the bottom of a river and have its own personal quay, if you had a boi mass on Bolton land there would only be one way the wood chip could get in the yard and that is by road, the overhead power lines would rule out a wood chip carrier ship.

loosehead says...
12:22pm Thu 10 Jan 13

southy wrote:
loosehead wrote:
southy wrote:
Ideal place would be the old Burt Bolton timber yard and quay, plenty of space to have the freedom to expand if needed, plenty of laying down area for the spools and any thing else that they need to store while waiting on a ship.
What about the proposed Bio Mass site?
Some thing like that needs to be at the bottom of a river and have its own personal quay, if you had a boi mass on Bolton land there would only be one way the wood chip could get in the yard and that is by road, the overhead power lines would rule out a wood chip carrier ship.
No build the new cable factory where the BIO mass is proposed not at Boltons

Shoong says...
1:13pm Thu 10 Jan 13

Linesman wrote:
Good news that jobs are being created.

Just a pity that we appear to be losing more than we are gaining.
Have you ever considered a career in 'negative spin'?

red/whitearmy says...
1:50pm Thu 10 Jan 13

Where are these jobs being advertised. I went onto Magma website and no mention of jobs southampton. Not even a mention of opening a new plant here. I registered on Magma's web site but could not find any jobs advertised.

southy says...
1:51pm Thu 10 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
southy wrote:
loosehead wrote:
southy wrote:
Ideal place would be the old Burt Bolton timber yard and quay, plenty of space to have the freedom to expand if needed, plenty of laying down area for the spools and any thing else that they need to store while waiting on a ship.
What about the proposed Bio Mass site?
Some thing like that needs to be at the bottom of a river and have its own personal quay, if you had a boi mass on Bolton land there would only be one way the wood chip could get in the yard and that is by road, the overhead power lines would rule out a wood chip carrier ship.
No build the new cable factory where the BIO mass is proposed not at Boltons
could do, but Southampton will need that space for more car imports and container staorage space

southy says...
1:59pm Thu 10 Jan 13

red/whitearmy wrote:
Where are these jobs being advertised. I went onto Magma website and no mention of jobs southampton. Not even a mention of opening a new plant here. I registered on Magma's web site but could not find any jobs advertised.
try there Calgary-based KERN Energy Partners and Copenhagen-based NES Partners.
Jobs here in Southampton will be subject to how many of its work force will be transfered to the new building here.
Also the font line workers was unware of the change in locations till today.

Lone Ranger. says...
2:33pm Thu 10 Jan 13

Goodness me ..... the old Tory Blue Dinosaur will be so very disapponited with this news

red/whitearmy says...
2:39pm Thu 10 Jan 13

cool

Cyber__Fug says...
3:17pm Thu 10 Jan 13

southy says...
1:59pm Thu 10 Jan 13

Also the font line workers was unware of the change in locations till today.

Really ??? This was in the Dave Echo yesterday ...http://www.dailye
cho.co.uk/news/10149
250.New_jobs_at_pipe
_firm/

loosehead says...
3:18pm Thu 10 Jan 13

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Goodness me ..... the old Tory Blue Dinosaur will be so very disapponited with this news
Why? tried saving jobs by cutting pay only for Labour to restore pay & cut jobs so why will it upset the Tories?
So the coalition Government has created more work for the city? after all you & this Labour Council blame them for job cuts so it must be down to them that more jobs have been created under them than under Labour YES?

Linesman says...
4:24pm Thu 10 Jan 13

Shoong wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Good news that jobs are being created.

Just a pity that we appear to be losing more than we are gaining.
Have you ever considered a career in 'negative spin'?
Have you ever considered facing facts?

Linesman says...
4:27pm Thu 10 Jan 13

red/whitearmy wrote:
Where are these jobs being advertised. I went onto Magma website and no mention of jobs southampton. Not even a mention of opening a new plant here. I registered on Magma's web site but could not find any jobs advertised.
You should not have informed us of your experience because it is not the sort of thing that Shoong wants to read.

Maybe he will suggest that you consider a career in Negative Spin.

Linesman says...
4:32pm Thu 10 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Goodness me ..... the old Tory Blue Dinosaur will be so very disapponited with this news
Why? tried saving jobs by cutting pay only for Labour to restore pay & cut jobs so why will it upset the Tories?
So the coalition Government has created more work for the city? after all you & this Labour Council blame them for job cuts so it must be down to them that more jobs have been created under them than under Labour YES?
You fail to understand that the jobs created are far less than the jobs that have been lost, thanks to the incompetence of this Cameron government and the restrictions placed on Councils.

If, as you say, this Tory-led coalition government has created more work in the city, can you tell us all how many more jobs have they created than have been lost, and where these jobs are?

Lone Ranger. says...
5:28pm Thu 10 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Goodness me ..... the old Tory Blue Dinosaur will be so very disapponited with this news
Why? tried saving jobs by cutting pay only for Labour to restore pay & cut jobs so why will it upset the Tories?
So the coalition Government has created more work for the city? after all you & this Labour Council blame them for job cuts so it must be down to them that more jobs have been created under them than under Labour YES?
Firstly ........ What are you on about. Are you still drinking the left overs from christmas.
.
Secondly ....... The Tory Blue Dinosaur knows exactly who he is . . ... .. and its not YOU.
.
Thirdly ...... It was this person who stated that companies would not invest in Southampton whilst Labour was in charge ........ So again he is wrong .......... And that is why i like to remind him of the facts

loosehead says...
8:54pm Thu 10 Jan 13

Linesman wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Goodness me ..... the old Tory Blue Dinosaur will be so very disapponited with this news
Why? tried saving jobs by cutting pay only for Labour to restore pay & cut jobs so why will it upset the Tories?
So the coalition Government has created more work for the city? after all you & this Labour Council blame them for job cuts so it must be down to them that more jobs have been created under them than under Labour YES?
You fail to understand that the jobs created are far less than the jobs that have been lost, thanks to the incompetence of this Cameron government and the restrictions placed on Councils.

If, as you say, this Tory-led coalition government has created more work in the city, can you tell us all how many more jobs have they created than have been lost, and where these jobs are?
Sorry more people in work than at any time means only job losses?
Why is there 2.5 million unemployed with this fact? has it anything to do with Browns B+lls up on allowing Eastern Europeans in here so quickly?
Is it because they'll do jobs for wages our people wouldn't do or is it that the real level of those who refuse to work is now nearer the 2million mark?

southy says...
9:41am Fri 11 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
Linesman wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Goodness me ..... the old Tory Blue Dinosaur will be so very disapponited with this news
Why? tried saving jobs by cutting pay only for Labour to restore pay & cut jobs so why will it upset the Tories?
So the coalition Government has created more work for the city? after all you & this Labour Council blame them for job cuts so it must be down to them that more jobs have been created under them than under Labour YES?
You fail to understand that the jobs created are far less than the jobs that have been lost, thanks to the incompetence of this Cameron government and the restrictions placed on Councils.

If, as you say, this Tory-led coalition government has created more work in the city, can you tell us all how many more jobs have they created than have been lost, and where these jobs are?
Sorry more people in work than at any time means only job losses?
Why is there 2.5 million unemployed with this fact? has it anything to do with Browns B+lls up on allowing Eastern Europeans in here so quickly?
Is it because they'll do jobs for wages our people wouldn't do or is it that the real level of those who refuse to work is now nearer the 2million mark?
Labour Government got unemployment down to 1.6 million while they was in office, it was one of things that they did get right, as soon as the Torys was in the unemployment started to rise.
Employers like overseas workers they are not subject to the NWL for the first 6 mths and then they get rid of them and bring in a new oversea worker.
2.5 million unemployed is not the total figure, unemployment is broken up into 4 sections and it do not count those on DLA or ILA

loosehead says...
1:15pm Fri 11 Jan 13

southy wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Linesman wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Goodness me ..... the old Tory Blue Dinosaur will be so very disapponited with this news
Why? tried saving jobs by cutting pay only for Labour to restore pay & cut jobs so why will it upset the Tories?
So the coalition Government has created more work for the city? after all you & this Labour Council blame them for job cuts so it must be down to them that more jobs have been created under them than under Labour YES?
You fail to understand that the jobs created are far less than the jobs that have been lost, thanks to the incompetence of this Cameron government and the restrictions placed on Councils.

If, as you say, this Tory-led coalition government has created more work in the city, can you tell us all how many more jobs have they created than have been lost, and where these jobs are?
Sorry more people in work than at any time means only job losses?
Why is there 2.5 million unemployed with this fact? has it anything to do with Browns B+lls up on allowing Eastern Europeans in here so quickly?
Is it because they'll do jobs for wages our people wouldn't do or is it that the real level of those who refuse to work is now nearer the 2million mark?
Labour Government got unemployment down to 1.6 million while they was in office, it was one of things that they did get right, as soon as the Torys was in the unemployment started to rise.
Employers like overseas workers they are not subject to the NWL for the first 6 mths and then they get rid of them and bring in a new oversea worker.
2.5 million unemployed is not the total figure, unemployment is broken up into 4 sections and it do not count those on DLA or ILA
So Southy banks shedding thousands of jobs after we bailed them out.
3.5million extra workers on the job market from eastern europe?
the actual amount of people working is far greater now than it has been before.
this isn't a Tory statistic this is the truth.

Linesman says...
2:58pm Fri 11 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
Linesman wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Goodness me ..... the old Tory Blue Dinosaur will be so very disapponited with this news
Why? tried saving jobs by cutting pay only for Labour to restore pay & cut jobs so why will it upset the Tories?
So the coalition Government has created more work for the city? after all you & this Labour Council blame them for job cuts so it must be down to them that more jobs have been created under them than under Labour YES?
You fail to understand that the jobs created are far less than the jobs that have been lost, thanks to the incompetence of this Cameron government and the restrictions placed on Councils.

If, as you say, this Tory-led coalition government has created more work in the city, can you tell us all how many more jobs have they created than have been lost, and where these jobs are?
Sorry more people in work than at any time means only job losses?
Why is there 2.5 million unemployed with this fact? has it anything to do with Browns B+lls up on allowing Eastern Europeans in here so quickly?
Is it because they'll do jobs for wages our people wouldn't do or is it that the real level of those who refuse to work is now nearer the 2million mark?
I note that Honda, who you claimed as a Thatcher success story, is cutting 800 jobs at their Swindon factory.

They took on workers when Labour were in power, but not prospering under the Party of Big Business.

loosehead says...
3:57pm Fri 11 Jan 13

Linesman wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Linesman wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Goodness me ..... the old Tory Blue Dinosaur will be so very disapponited with this news
Why? tried saving jobs by cutting pay only for Labour to restore pay & cut jobs so why will it upset the Tories?
So the coalition Government has created more work for the city? after all you & this Labour Council blame them for job cuts so it must be down to them that more jobs have been created under them than under Labour YES?
You fail to understand that the jobs created are far less than the jobs that have been lost, thanks to the incompetence of this Cameron government and the restrictions placed on Councils.

If, as you say, this Tory-led coalition government has created more work in the city, can you tell us all how many more jobs have they created than have been lost, and where these jobs are?
Sorry more people in work than at any time means only job losses?
Why is there 2.5 million unemployed with this fact? has it anything to do with Browns B+lls up on allowing Eastern Europeans in here so quickly?
Is it because they'll do jobs for wages our people wouldn't do or is it that the real level of those who refuse to work is now nearer the 2million mark?
I note that Honda, who you claimed as a Thatcher success story, is cutting 800 jobs at their Swindon factory.

They took on workers when Labour were in power, but not prospering under the Party of Big Business.
Really low that one.
Just recently they took on 500 people so really the figure is 300. but they were on telly saying it was only short time & they will be re-hiring them?

Linesman says...
4:14pm Fri 11 Jan 13

Not Low, just Fact.

I heard it said that they Hoped to re-hire them, but gave no estimate on time.

Production has fallen considerably and doubt that they will increase staff until sales pick up.

Linesman says...
7:19pm Fri 11 Jan 13

Not Low, just Fact.

I heard it said that they Hoped to re-hire them, but gave no estimate on time.

Production has fallen considerably and doubt that they will increase staff until sales pick up.

More Echo Business