Fri, 18th Apr 2014

Echo Business

Concern for Southampton's Bargate Centre as traders ordered to move out

By Jon Reeve

11:00am Tuesday 15th January 2013

City shopping centre facing closure

THE future of a Hampshire shopping centre is hanging in the balance after stunned business owners were told they had just weeks to get out.

Tenants fear the sudden moves to kick them out of Southampton’s Bargate Shopping Centre mean it could be closing for good.

It comes after failed attempts to sell the complex by receivers dealing with the liquidation of its owners more than a year ago.

But while some of the 11 retailers still operating in the centre have been given just four weeks’ notice to quit their shops, others have not been given any information.

Traders said they have been left in the dark over the plans for the complex, and some said they believe there are moves to clear it so it can be sold.

Last night the company managing it on behalf of the receivers admitted it is “not fully clear” what will happen.

Jane Bryant, chief executive of national youth arts project Artswork, which has a unit in the centre, said: “We have got three months. We know nothing.

“Why is it so secret? We have heard a lot of rumours – people were interested in buying this place, then they disappeared.”

Lloyd Phillips, owner of Lucid and Lucky’s, said he and others had been shocked at being given notice to leave the complex.

He said: “BNP Paribas took control and were going to sell it as a going centre, but now they want it completely empty.

“I realised it was getting tough but I was assured that I didn’t have to worry. Two or three weeks ago I was told they were going to rejuvenate the centre.”

Opened less than 25 years ago, Bargate Shopping Centre was sold to European property giant Parkridge Holdings for £17.25m in February 2008, just as the credit crunch started to bite.

In 2009, plans were revealed to demolish the centre and replace it with a covered street of boutique and independent shops alongside a flagship Debenhams store.

But that scheme was later scrapped, and the firm set up to run the centre – Parkridge (Bargate) Ltd – was liquidated in late 2011 after running up major losses.

A representative from Savills, which is acting as the managing agent for the centre on behalf of receivers BNP Paribas Real Estate, said: “They have a strategy and have asked us to carry out certain things.

“There isn’t a full clear picture yet as to what the full strategy is.”

The chief executive of the Hampshire Chamber of Commerce, Jimmy Chestnutt, said if the centre closes he hopes the site can be quickly brought back into use, although that may not be as shops.

No one from BNP Paribas was available for comment.

Comments(74)

Comments(74)

kingnotail says...
11:06am Tue 15 Jan 13

It's been almost empty for years anyway. Knock it down and replace it with something better!

bigfella777 says...
11:29am Tue 15 Jan 13

Totally wierd the way it has been run down.It was so nice and clean when it first opened.The units were always too small for big retailers.

Ginger_cyclist says...
11:33am Tue 15 Jan 13

At least keep the arcade, that place is great.

Stillness says...
11:51am Tue 15 Jan 13

Great spot for an ice rink ;-)

mellowdude says...
11:53am Tue 15 Jan 13

I feel that West Quay is the centre of shopping in town now, and if the weather is not nice outside (raining, snowing etc) people are not likely to want to venture far from the shopping centre. The Bargate just isn't appealing enough in my eyes to bother with the walk.

I understand the Bargate has niche stores, but a lot of this could probably also be found online.

henry2* says...
11:54am Tue 15 Jan 13

A covered street of boutique and independent shops - thats a better plan for the site.. The Arcade in there should be saved though

Ginger_cyclist says...
11:54am Tue 15 Jan 13

Stillness wrote:
Great spot for an ice rink ;-)
Not really, they'd have to spend a lot to back fill the hole in the middle first, plus it's much too small, an arcade similar to the huge one in London however would be perfect, an aquarium would fit in quite nicely too.

southy says...
11:55am Tue 15 Jan 13

A new mall opens and another starts to run down, do that not tell you some thing, like there is a limit of numbers of malls that can happen in one area.

Ginger_cyclist says...
11:56am Tue 15 Jan 13

henry2* wrote:
A covered street of boutique and independent shops - thats a better plan for the site.. The Arcade in there should be saved though
Indeed, Sega park is one of the only places where people of ALL ages can enjoy themselves.

Stillness says...
11:58am Tue 15 Jan 13

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Stillness wrote:
Great spot for an ice rink ;-)
Not really, they'd have to spend a lot to back fill the hole in the middle first, plus it's much too small, an arcade similar to the huge one in London however would be perfect, an aquarium would fit in quite nicely too.
I think you must have missed the ";-)" at the end. Still, I expect they will be very nice flats.

Ginger_cyclist says...
11:59am Tue 15 Jan 13

southy wrote:
A new mall opens and another starts to run down, do that not tell you some thing, like there is a limit of numbers of malls that can happen in one area.
If that was true then the bargate center would have closed down a long time ago, same with east street.

Ginger_cyclist says...
12:02pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Stillness wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Stillness wrote:
Great spot for an ice rink ;-)
Not really, they'd have to spend a lot to back fill the hole in the middle first, plus it's much too small, an arcade similar to the huge one in London however would be perfect, an aquarium would fit in quite nicely too.
I think you must have missed the ";-)" at the end. Still, I expect they will be very nice flats.
Yeah, I did but I still don't want flats there, building flats and stuff in town keeps killing the city little by little, at some point Southampton will probably be known as "The city of flats", would we want that? Probably not.

G0Rf says...
12:03pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Maybe they could all move from the bargate to the mall at marlands?

G0Rf says...
12:05pm Tue 15 Jan 13

move the sega park arcade to the new pier!

kingnotail says...
12:14pm Tue 15 Jan 13

henry2* wrote:
A covered street of boutique and independent shops - thats a better plan for the site.. The Arcade in there should be saved though
Some decent places to drink wouldn't go amiss either.

elvisimo says...
12:16pm Tue 15 Jan 13

It is being sold as a development site with the shops on the front being sold as a separate lot.
Most if not all tenants in their have been paying rates only and no rent just to keep the lights on.
The original plan from parkridge was to drop it an redevelop including the debenhams. Then parkridge went bust.
Difficult site as the wall on one side and east street the other.
That said it is going cheap so hopefully someone will have a half decent idea that they can make stack financially.
Seem to recall a price of £11m when last sold. Bulk of scheme up now for £1.5m

southy says...
12:31pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
southy wrote:
A new mall opens and another starts to run down, do that not tell you some thing, like there is a limit of numbers of malls that can happen in one area.
If that was true then the bargate center would have closed down a long time ago, same with east street.
East street stated to go down hill when the Bargate open up, there are plans to pull it all down and redevelope east street mall, when mataland open up Bargate started to go down hill. west quays it just speeded things up.

There are limits in every thing, over do it it and and one will suffer.

Subject48 says...
12:46pm Tue 15 Jan 13

A massive arcade/indoor piantball/ bowling alley etc complex would be great.

That is what the city needs.

(Build a tunnel into west quay? or a monorail/tram for all the lazy people who are moaning about a 5 minutre walk in the rain?) This part is a joke...

I would recomend no alcohol or charged at extortionate prices to repel the alcoholic ditraptive scum chavs the country is writhe with. Otherwise the place wil get closed down int he first week.

loosehead says...
12:47pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Southy this development never really took off so your talking out of your bum.
Is there a book open on if this will be either a block of Linden flats or a new Tesco store?

southy says...
1:02pm Tue 15 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
Southy this development never really took off so your talking out of your bum.
Is there a book open on if this will be either a block of Linden flats or a new Tesco store?
No loose the plan is to find another developer, to pull down east street mall is still on the plans and redevolpe that area.

Shoong says...
1:06pm Tue 15 Jan 13

southy wrote:
A new mall opens and another starts to run down, do that not tell you some thing, like there is a limit of numbers of malls that can happen in one area.
Stunning insight, it's a good job you posted it or it may never have occurred to me and many others I suspect.

Shoong says...
1:08pm Tue 15 Jan 13

southy wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Southy this development never really took off so your talking out of your bum.
Is there a book open on if this will be either a block of Linden flats or a new Tesco store?
No loose the plan is to find another developer, to pull down east street mall is still on the plans and redevolpe that area.
I'd be interested to know more, can you let us know where we can see or read about these plans for ourselves?

Mr E says...
1:18pm Tue 15 Jan 13

How about they turn it into a Massive Pawnbrokers , with built in Fast food outlets and a Onsite betting shop.

sarfhamton says...
1:25pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Mr E wrote:
How about they turn it into a Massive Pawnbrokers , with built in Fast food outlets and a Onsite betting shop.
How about a huge Greggs?

News Fanatic says...
1:49pm Tue 15 Jan 13

With yet more shop space due to be available when the final phase of WestQuay opens, I cannot imagine the Bargate site will ever be needed for retail purposes again.

S!monOn says...
1:49pm Tue 15 Jan 13

sarfhamton wrote:
Mr E wrote:
How about they turn it into a Massive Pawnbrokers , with built in Fast food outlets and a Onsite betting shop.
How about a huge Greggs?
He needs to go on a diet and stay away from those fast food outlets ;-)

arthur dalyrimple says...
1:50pm Tue 15 Jan 13

perfect place for a mega cinema ,restaurants , etc.

Big Mac says...
2:03pm Tue 15 Jan 13

How about another casino, then we can all have a bet how long it will last?

Subject48 says...
3:09pm Tue 15 Jan 13

ha. good one.

Ellwood says...
3:35pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Stillness wrote:
Great spot for an ice rink ;-)
Not really, they'd have to spend a lot to back fill the hole in the middle first, plus it's much too small, an arcade similar to the huge one in London however would be perfect, an aquarium would fit in quite nicely too.
.............. perfect spot for an Ice-Rink....lower deck Ice Rink... upper deck viewing gallery. Keep some of the upper units for changing facilities toilets etc etc & the rest for eating/drinking.....
.. doubt it will happen but sound idea none-the-less Stillness.

massimoosti says...
3:47pm Tue 15 Jan 13

if they never built it hmv may have survived

mickey01 says...
4:22pm Tue 15 Jan 13

massimoosti wrote:
if they never built it hmv may have survived
the internet killed h m v and west quay killed the bargate , both failed to keep up with the times

Scatgirl says...
4:28pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Loosehead....you forgot McCarthy & Stone...could squeeze a lot of over 60's 'apartments' in there?

massimoosti says...
4:41pm Tue 15 Jan 13

mickey01 wrote:
massimoosti wrote:
if they never built it hmv may have survived
the internet killed h m v and west quay killed the bargate , both failed to keep up with the times
was actually sarcasm in that if the HMV shop hadnt moved so the Bargate centre could be built they may have survived.

Then there'd be 2 x less news stories today.

loosehead says...
5:07pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Scatgirl wrote:
Loosehead....you forgot McCarthy & Stone...could squeeze a lot of over 60's 'apartments' in there?
I'd rather have those than Linden Homes.
Could make it an indoor market instead of having the outdoor one?

Hdg end mo says...
5:10pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Good riddance

elvisimo says...
5:50pm Tue 15 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
Scatgirl wrote: Loosehead....you forgot McCarthy & Stone...could squeeze a lot of over 60's 'apartments' in there?
I'd rather have those than Linden Homes. Could make it an indoor market instead of having the outdoor one?
whatever goes there will have to turn a decent profit for the new developer so that will discount many uses.
Would suggest the planner will want to see commercial at the front but there could be resi at the rear - i.e. where the multi storey is

skin2000 says...
6:25pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Big Mac wrote:
How about another casino, then we can all have a bet how long it will last?
How about a Super Casino...better still.

housewife says...
6:26pm Tue 15 Jan 13

how about a brewery ....

skin2000 says...
6:31pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Mr E wrote:
How about they turn it into a Massive Pawnbrokers , with built in Fast food outlets and a Onsite betting shop.
Good idea, chuck in a couple of charity shops and a Polish Deli, then you have a vision of the High Street in a couple of years.

Huffter says...
7:24pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
southy wrote: A new mall opens and another starts to run down, do that not tell you some thing, like there is a limit of numbers of malls that can happen in one area.
If that was true then the bargate center would have closed down a long time ago, same with east street.
I thought Bargate closed years ago!

downfader says...
7:26pm Tue 15 Jan 13

southy wrote:
A new mall opens and another starts to run down, do that not tell you some thing, like there is a limit of numbers of malls that can happen in one area.
Exactly.

Ocean Village opened. Then Bargate.. OV starts to fail.. Then Bargate when Marlands starts to open.. then West Quay crushes them all.

We dont need any more "malls" - they just fill with massive chains anyway. The kinds of shops that people can get in their own town anyway - so why would they ever attract out-of-town- shoppers.

Perhaps we should be attracting the local pound more, and encouraging smaller, quirkier shops too.

dolomiteman says...
7:41pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Is the echo being paid not to report the full story that involves expensive apartments?

freefinker says...
7:41pm Tue 15 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
Southy this development never really took off so your talking out of your bum.
Is there a book open on if this will be either a block of Linden flats or a new Tesco store?
.. nope, southy is right - The Bargate was heaving with people when it first opened and for the first few years.

And he and others are right on the sequential decline of malls. Ocean Village, East Street, Bargate, Marlands (just hanging on) and now the ultimate temple of the new religion of consumerism, West Quay.

Brusher Mills says...
8:03pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Why not turn it into a giant indoor ski slope.

richieroo says...
8:17pm Tue 15 Jan 13

skin2000 wrote:
Mr E wrote:
How about they turn it into a Massive Pawnbrokers , with built in Fast food outlets and a Onsite betting shop.
Good idea, chuck in a couple of charity shops and a Polish Deli, then you have a vision of the High Street in a couple of years.
Sounds like a description of Beastleigh now lol!. ;-)

windyboy says...
9:18pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Build a new cop shop with working plumbing......

Ginger_cyclist says...
9:33pm Tue 15 Jan 13

windyboy wrote:
Build a new cop shop with working plumbing......
At least it would be a more central location than where they're stationed now, why do we have to almost leave the city to get there? Any further and it would be in Totton.

sotonman2012 says...
9:36pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Four shopping centre's all within walking distance was well too much for Southampton anyway,I remember when East street centre was quite good back in the early 90's not even sure if it is still open or not these days just to walk through.

Bargate always looked nice but offered very little apart from "small shops selling poor items"

Marlands highered its game when it changed to "The mall" but upstairs in there remains un-used pretty much.

Never been impressed with West Quay to be honest,I mean its clean etc,But whenever I go christmas shopping I never pick to go to Southampton.

philiprhampton says...
9:48pm Tue 15 Jan 13

There are plans to join the old walls together with the Bargate !!!!!!

loosehead says...
7:19am Wed 16 Jan 13

philiprhampton wrote:
There are plans to join the old walls together with the Bargate !!!!!!
but wouldn't that happen further forward than the shopping mall.
there use to be a cafe downstairs where it would go isn't that the spot?

Zeo says...
8:40am Wed 16 Jan 13

Make it an open street, remove the car park at the back and make it underground ... open it all up so people can see the old walls again.

Ginger_cyclist says...
10:44am Wed 16 Jan 13

Zeo wrote:
Make it an open street, remove the car park at the back and make it underground ... open it all up so people can see the old walls again.
The bargate center isn't actually where the walls used to be, if they were still there then they would go between lush and maplin.

southy says...
12:11pm Wed 16 Jan 13

mickey01 wrote:
massimoosti wrote:
if they never built it hmv may have survived
the internet killed h m v and west quay killed the bargate , both failed to keep up with the times
Its the artist that are killing it, they have been asking for to much for 40 years now and that cost as been pass on down the line and ends up with the ordinary person on the street footing the bill for others greed.

kingnotail says...
12:31pm Wed 16 Jan 13

southy wrote:
mickey01 wrote:
massimoosti wrote:
if they never built it hmv may have survived
the internet killed h m v and west quay killed the bargate , both failed to keep up with the times
Its the artist that are killing it, they have been asking for to much for 40 years now and that cost as been pass on down the line and ends up with the ordinary person on the street footing the bill for others greed.
Artists earn little from record sales, and never have done. Most of this money goes straight to the record companies. Musicians make the majority of their money from touring.

loosehead says...
12:34pm Wed 16 Jan 13

kingnotail wrote:
southy wrote:
mickey01 wrote:
massimoosti wrote:
if they never built it hmv may have survived
the internet killed h m v and west quay killed the bargate , both failed to keep up with the times
Its the artist that are killing it, they have been asking for to much for 40 years now and that cost as been pass on down the line and ends up with the ordinary person on the street footing the bill for others greed.
Artists earn little from record sales, and never have done. Most of this money goes straight to the record companies. Musicians make the majority of their money from touring.
for once I have to agree with you

loosehead says...
12:39pm Wed 16 Jan 13

southy wrote:
mickey01 wrote:
massimoosti wrote:
if they never built it hmv may have survived
the internet killed h m v and west quay killed the bargate , both failed to keep up with the times
Its the artist that are killing it, they have been asking for to much for 40 years now and that cost as been pass on down the line and ends up with the ordinary person on the street footing the bill for others greed.
Southy HMV & all shops selling Music CD's are being hit by people downloading illegal free copies instead of buying them.
buy off of Amazon & you pay P&P so all depending on how much your going to buy it works out cheaper to buy on line buying a load you might as well go & see exactly what your buying.
Piracy though is free & some of the copies can be good quality

Cici7eb says...
2:28pm Wed 16 Jan 13

they should stick all of the scummy markets that litter the high street half the week in it. since when did it become ok to stick sunday markets on a high street in the shopping capital of the south!!!!markets are for fileds and well you know what types of people like them , if i were Pret paying £250k in rent and rates and they stuck food stalls outside half of the year i would have pulled out a long time ago.

kingnotail says...
3:07pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Shopping capital of the south?! Most hilarious thing I have ever heard!

Cici7eb says...
3:14pm Wed 16 Jan 13

oh yea sorry,bournemouth and portsmouth are

loosehead says...
3:30pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Cici7eb wrote:
they should stick all of the scummy markets that litter the high street half the week in it. since when did it become ok to stick sunday markets on a high street in the shopping capital of the south!!!!markets are for fileds and well you know what types of people like them , if i were Pret paying £250k in rent and rates and they stuck food stalls outside half of the year i would have pulled out a long time ago.
Seen this done in Thailand & it works very well so good idea.

kingnotail says...
3:31pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Cici7eb wrote:
oh yea sorry,bournemouth and portsmouth are
What exactly makes Southampton a better shopping destination than either of these?

S!monOn says...
3:37pm Wed 16 Jan 13

kingnotail wrote:
Cici7eb wrote:
oh yea sorry,bournemouth and portsmouth are
What exactly makes Southampton a better shopping destination than either of these?
Why do you have such a dislike of Southampton?

If you are so unhappy living here why don't you just pack your bags and p*ss off elsewhere.

loosehead says...
3:38pm Wed 16 Jan 13

S!monOn wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Cici7eb wrote:
oh yea sorry,bournemouth and portsmouth are
What exactly makes Southampton a better shopping destination than either of these?
Why do you have such a dislike of Southampton?

If you are so unhappy living here why don't you just pack your bags and p*ss off elsewhere.
I've asked him/her the same question many times

Cici7eb says...
3:48pm Wed 16 Jan 13

West quay,John Lewis, Applestore, Pret a manger, Eds easy diner, Tortilla, Hollister, Ikea to name a few... premium retailers and restaurants in a premium destination, you may not like Southampton but you cant disagree people travel from far and wide to visit the city shops. Portsmouth is full of second shops and bournemouth is a dump and everything is outside

Cici7eb says...
3:55pm Wed 16 Jan 13

West quay,John Lewis, Applestore, Pret a manger, Eds easy diner, Tortilla, Hollister, Ikea to name a few... premium retailers and restaurants in a premium destination, you may not like Southampton but you cant disagree people travel from far and wide to visit the city shops. Portsmouth is full of second shops and bournemouth is a dump and everything is outside

kingnotail says...
4:52pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Oh west quay, where all the restaurants close at 7.30pm. Is that bedtime for everyone in Southampton? Every backwater town has had a Pret for years too.

kingnotail says...
4:56pm Wed 16 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
S!monOn wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Cici7eb wrote:
oh yea sorry,bournemouth and portsmouth are
What exactly makes Southampton a better shopping destination than either of these?
Why do you have such a dislike of Southampton?

If you are so unhappy living here why don't you just pack your bags and p*ss off elsewhere.
I've asked him/her the same question many times
Mistake. Simple as that. Stuck here for the next year at least. Crappest place I've ever been.

Pikey-Biker says...
4:58pm Wed 16 Jan 13

please go

loosehead says...
5:42pm Wed 16 Jan 13

kingnotail wrote:
loosehead wrote:
S!monOn wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Cici7eb wrote:
oh yea sorry,bournemouth and portsmouth are
What exactly makes Southampton a better shopping destination than either of these?
Why do you have such a dislike of Southampton?

If you are so unhappy living here why don't you just pack your bags and p*ss off elsewhere.
I've asked him/her the same question many times
Mistake. Simple as that. Stuck here for the next year at least. Crappest place I've ever been.
Crappest place? so the school system where you came from was top notch then?

kingnotail says...
9:54am Thu 17 Jan 13

loosehead wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
loosehead wrote:
S!monOn wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Cici7eb wrote:
oh yea sorry,bournemouth and portsmouth are
What exactly makes Southampton a better shopping destination than either of these?
Why do you have such a dislike of Southampton?

If you are so unhappy living here why don't you just pack your bags and p*ss off elsewhere.
I've asked him/her the same question many times
Mistake. Simple as that. Stuck here for the next year at least. Crappest place I've ever been.
Crappest place? so the school system where you came from was top notch then?
Better than Southampton I'm sure. Crap, crapper, crappest, what's wrong there?

loosehead says...
12:20pm Thu 17 Jan 13

kingnotail wrote:
loosehead wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
loosehead wrote:
S!monOn wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Cici7eb wrote:
oh yea sorry,bournemouth and portsmouth are
What exactly makes Southampton a better shopping destination than either of these?
Why do you have such a dislike of Southampton?

If you are so unhappy living here why don't you just pack your bags and p*ss off elsewhere.
I've asked him/her the same question many times
Mistake. Simple as that. Stuck here for the next year at least. Crappest place I've ever been.
Crappest place? so the school system where you came from was top notch then?
Better than Southampton I'm sure. Crap, crapper, crappest, what's wrong there?
I think the word your looking for is crappiest ?
Exactly where is this paradise you come from?
I've travelled all over the country so give me some thing to laugh about & tell me where your from

kingnotail says...
4:51pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Crappy, crappier, crappiest

WoolstonSean says...
5:23pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Not replied on here for some while as with most posts on here they uusally get hijacked by a certain individual and we all know who that is but I see we have a new poster (to me anyway) as in Kingnotail, he isn't a relation of Southys by any chance!
No please not another wierdo on here who wants to annoy all the time!!!

More Echo Business