Wed, 23rd Apr 2014

Echo Business

70 jobs planned with new shops and restaurants at Rushington roundabout in Totton

By Chris Yandell

11:40am Tuesday 22nd January 2013

70 jobs planned with new shops and restaurants

THIS is the first glimpse of a multi-million-pound shopping scheme that aims to create at least 70 jobs.

A developer is planning to bulldoze a used car centre and replace it with a KFC restaurant and drive-thru, a similar facility operated by Costa Coffee, and two other retail outlets.

The proposals were revealed by the Daily Echo two months ago and have now been submitted to council planners.

Hampshire-based Gentian Developments is seeking consent to redevelop what the planning application describes as a “barren, tired-looking site” next to the Rushington roundabout at Totton.

Gentian says the “bleak landscape” would be transformed by a unique scheme if New Forest District Council gives it the green light.

The application coincides with plans to build a McDonald’s restaurant and drive-thru in Commercial Road, Totton. As reported in the Daily Echo, the Gentian scheme includes the first Costa Coffee drive-thru in the south as well as a KFC.

Gentian confirmed that the proposed development represented a multi-million-pound investment in Totton but declined to reveal the exact cost, claiming the figure was commercially sensitive.

Town councillors have warned that the scheme could result in the roundabout becoming too busy. But Gentian’s application says the people who carried out a traffic assessment saw “no significant queuing” in the area.

It adds: “Where queues did form, these were not identified as being stationary for any significant period and continued to slowly move forward.

The assessment concludes that any queuing traffic will dissipate within an acceptable timescale.”

Gentian spokesman George Mellery-Pratt said: “Gentian Development Group is committed to this significant investment in Totton. The development will regenerate this gateway location and deliver approximately 70 jobs.”

A council spokesman said the application had only just come in and would not be decided until March or April. The site is currently occupied by the Ridgeway Used Car Centre, which is planning to move to a new location.

Comments(21)

Comments(21)

Forest Resident says...
12:09pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Were the traffic surveyors blind? No significant queuing? Given almost the entire commuting population of the waterside passes south through this junction in the afternoon rush hour it can barely cope as it is, the evidence of the "significant queuing" stretches back to Redbridge Causeway most afternoons!

Lone Ranger. says...
12:21pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Forest Resident wrote:
Were the traffic surveyors blind? No significant queuing? Given almost the entire commuting population of the waterside passes south through this junction in the afternoon rush hour it can barely cope as it is, the evidence of the "significant queuing" stretches back to Redbridge Causeway most afternoons!
Perhaps they dont consider rush hour queues as this would be applicable on most major roads thus never building anything.
.
Outside of rush hour then the traffic flows very well

adamello says...
12:26pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Forest Resident wrote:
Were the traffic surveyors blind? No significant queuing? Given almost the entire commuting population of the waterside passes south through this junction in the afternoon rush hour it can barely cope as it is, the evidence of the "significant queuing" stretches back to Redbridge Causeway most afternoons!
Perhaps they dont consider rush hour queues as this would be applicable on most major roads thus never building anything.
.
Outside of rush hour then the traffic flows very well
Even then its no because of the roundabout, its just on that road, with 55 parking spaces and two drive through lanes I don't think it'll cause traffic issues, Site plan: https://www.dropbox.
com/s/rtbtkf95lbns5t
m/layout.pdf

peenut81 says...
12:43pm Tue 22 Jan 13

So they are going tot turn a barren gaudy looking site into a tacky, illuminated neon and plastic site instead?

The Phantomerer says...
1:14pm Tue 22 Jan 13

adamello wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Forest Resident wrote:
Were the traffic surveyors blind? No significant queuing? Given almost the entire commuting population of the waterside passes south through this junction in the afternoon rush hour it can barely cope as it is, the evidence of the "significant queuing" stretches back to Redbridge Causeway most afternoons!
Perhaps they dont consider rush hour queues as this would be applicable on most major roads thus never building anything.
.
Outside of rush hour then the traffic flows very well
Even then its no because of the roundabout, its just on that road, with 55 parking spaces and two drive through lanes I don't think it'll cause traffic issues, Site plan: https://www.dropbox.

com/s/rtbtkf95lbns5t

m/layout.pdf
Thanks for posting a link to the plans - very helpful. I spoke with a traffic technician, familiar with this location, who said the following...
Judging by the plans I think there may be issues with traffic exiting the development onto the A35 Totton By-Pass, which is attempting perform a u-turn around the roundabout, for example to head back into Totton via Rumbridge Street. There isn't much time and space to move from the exit to the right-hand lane. Often traffic already in the right-hand land moves quickly in order to cross the roundabout to enter the right-hand lane on the Spicer's Hill side of the A35, to pass slower moving vehicles, or just because it is quicker. Which makes the manoeuvre from the development exit to the right-hand land even more tricky. Vehicles attempting to perform the u-turn around the roundabout may fail to access the right-hand lane and try, incorrectly, to pass around around the roundabout in the left hand lane, which puts the vehicles at significant risk of collision with fast moving vehicles in the right-hand lane of the roundabout; or vehicles exiting the development may attempt to cut into the right-hand lane where there is not a safe gap or attempt to cut into the right-hand lane on the roundabout itself, both of these manoeuvres are inherently risky.

Totton Ric says...
1:27pm Tue 22 Jan 13

No thanks,sides that we dont need any Costa Coffee in Totton but are getting one in the town centre so why do we need another ?RIP local Businesses

elvisimo says...
1:55pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Best of luck to them. If there is the demand from the operators then build it. They will have highways and planning consultants on board. Local business is a non argument

Tenderhearts wife says...
1:58pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Totton really does not need more junk food outlets, when you see the morbidly obese sights that are pounding into Mcd's in Asda Totton dragging their malnourished offspring behind them for their one hot meal of the week you will understand why I have come to that conclusion.

The Phantomerer says...
2:21pm Tue 22 Jan 13

elvisimo wrote:
Best of luck to them. If there is the demand from the operators then build it. They will have highways and planning consultants on board. Local business is a non argument
The problem is many of those involved in highways planning have little understanding of how traffic operates in the real world. There is a big book of guidelines which is rigorously applied with little attempt at understanding or applying any local knowledge of the area. The guidebook presents an idealist utopia of drivers behaving in a rational manner in accordance with the Highway Code. Judging by the number of vehicles on the road I witnessed, during the recent snowy conditions, where drivers had only cleared a tiny amount of snow from the windscreen; highways planners need to build in multiple safety layers during road planning to account for many stupid mistakes. This is something they seldom do, always looking for the cheapest, quickest, or even most aesthetically pleasing option.

alanrr says...
2:39pm Tue 22 Jan 13

restauarants........
..taken from the heading, I would have thought that english was a requirement of a journalist course........and in case one doesn't know it should be......... restaurants

good-gosh says...
3:19pm Tue 22 Jan 13

The Phantomerer wrote:
adamello wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Forest Resident wrote:
Were the traffic surveyors blind? No significant queuing? Given almost the entire commuting population of the waterside passes south through this junction in the afternoon rush hour it can barely cope as it is, the evidence of the "significant queuing" stretches back to Redbridge Causeway most afternoons!
Perhaps they dont consider rush hour queues as this would be applicable on most major roads thus never building anything.
.
Outside of rush hour then the traffic flows very well
Even then its no because of the roundabout, its just on that road, with 55 parking spaces and two drive through lanes I don't think it'll cause traffic issues, Site plan: https://www.dropbox.


com/s/rtbtkf95lbns5t


m/layout.pdf
Thanks for posting a link to the plans - very helpful. I spoke with a traffic technician, familiar with this location, who said the following...
Judging by the plans I think there may be issues with traffic exiting the development onto the A35 Totton By-Pass, which is attempting perform a u-turn around the roundabout, for example to head back into Totton via Rumbridge Street. There isn't much time and space to move from the exit to the right-hand lane. Often traffic already in the right-hand land moves quickly in order to cross the roundabout to enter the right-hand lane on the Spicer's Hill side of the A35, to pass slower moving vehicles, or just because it is quicker. Which makes the manoeuvre from the development exit to the right-hand land even more tricky. Vehicles attempting to perform the u-turn around the roundabout may fail to access the right-hand lane and try, incorrectly, to pass around around the roundabout in the left hand lane, which puts the vehicles at significant risk of collision with fast moving vehicles in the right-hand lane of the roundabout; or vehicles exiting the development may attempt to cut into the right-hand lane where there is not a safe gap or attempt to cut into the right-hand lane on the roundabout itself, both of these manoeuvres are inherently risky.
An important observation. And the traffic exit proposal is therefore unacceptable.

bazzeroz says...
3:46pm Tue 22 Jan 13

How the heck can you call KFC a restaurant? Its 'fast food' (and c.rap at that) and its drive THROUGH not THRU!! It may be American but please, let's not speak/spell like them.

Chas O'Bursledon says...
4:03pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Nowhere needs KFC or McDonalds! Landscape it instead!

Bananalu says...
4:26pm Tue 22 Jan 13

I live near Rushington roundabout and really don't want to have to smell drifting wafts of KFC at any time of day or night. I don't want to see the glow of their neon signs through my bedroom windows. I don't want to have to drive round the roundabout on a daily basis encountering dangerous traffic trying to exit the drive-through and cross 2 or 3 lanes of traffic on a busy roundabout in order to head back to Totton. There's a KFC in Millbrook. It's about 10 mins the other way. There's going to be a Costa in Totton centre. Why oh why do we need more fast food and overpriced coffee outlets? What a picturesque "gateway to the New Forest" we're offering! (Not.)

Aisha1 says...
5:43pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Here here!

bazzeroz says...
8:29pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Aisha1 wrote:
Here here!
No! There, there.

mercrocker says...
9:06pm Tue 22 Jan 13

I would rather have a barren site than four tons of takeaway waste strewn up the side of the A326, A35 and Rushington Roundabout. We do not need KFC (again) or Costa (again) particularly as we have lost two local shops to the coffee monster. Put some proper jobs in there....

forest tony says...
9:48pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Shere and total madness, we see Totton dying, Rumbridge Street a street that once was, we hear rumours of Asda expanding, seems on hold now, theres rumours of an Eling Wharf Development, McD's at the old Red Lion site! Then Rushington Roundabout!We are all promised jobs for our youngsters, near false promises, not real jobs, not careers, part time jobs with no protection, no pride, nothing to make our youngsters citizens of the future! Unless we revive Totton Town Centre, Totton will die, along with it all these inane plans for development on the edges of Totton! Fast food joints and coffee shops are not the answer!
Hopefully our Authorities will see common sense and not fall for the promises of "unreal" jobs and find a way to invigorate a dying town!

The Phantomerer says...
9:53pm Tue 22 Jan 13

forest tony wrote:
Shere and total madness, we see Totton dying, Rumbridge Street a street that once was, we hear rumours of Asda expanding, seems on hold now, theres rumours of an Eling Wharf Development, McD's at the old Red Lion site! Then Rushington Roundabout!We are all promised jobs for our youngsters, near false promises, not real jobs, not careers, part time jobs with no protection, no pride, nothing to make our youngsters citizens of the future! Unless we revive Totton Town Centre, Totton will die, along with it all these inane plans for development on the edges of Totton! Fast food joints and coffee shops are not the answer!
Hopefully our Authorities will see common sense and not fall for the promises of "unreal" jobs and find a way to invigorate a dying town!
Wise words.

J.P.M says...
10:08pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Apart from the (already stated) point, that these companies are shoite,
I have 2 significant points:

"70 jobs planned"

WRONG

1. 50 of them will be p/t
2. Jobs (like energy) are not created, they are transferred from somewhere else

Aisha1 says...
9:08am Wed 23 Jan 13

Oh ssh bazzeroz

More Echo Business