Thu, 24th Apr 2014

Echo News

Police issue CCTV pictures in racist abuse hunt

By Melanie Adams

1:36pm Friday 18th January 2013

Police issue CCTV pictures in racist abuse hunt

Police issue CCTV pictures in racist abuse hunt

Police issue CCTV pictures in racist abuse hunt

DETECTIVES hunting a man who hurled racist abuse at a Southampton security guard have released CCTV images in a bid to catch him.

Police want to speak to the man shown in the images captured on camera at the 99p shop in Bitterne Precinct in connection with two verbal attacks on the store's security guard.

Officers were called after the second incident when a man, who had been in the shop with a woman pushing a child in a pushchair, left the store before coming straight back in and threatening to assault the guard and hurling racist abuse at him.

It came a month after he threatened the same security guard when asked to remove his hood in line with the shop policy.

Police have released CCTV of both incidents, the second of which happened at around 10.20am on January 16.

Anyone who recognises the man in the pictures or has any information about the incident should call PC Rory Stuart at Bitterne Police Station on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Comments(30)

Comments(30)

G0Rf says...
2:12pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Where's the picture?

Turtlebay says...
2:17pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Hey you stupid Peelers, the picture is of a woman! Can't you tell the difference?

mickey01 says...
3:53pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Turtlebay wrote:
Hey you stupid Peelers, the picture is of a woman! Can't you tell the difference?
there aint alot of difference these days sometimes its hard to tell the male and female chavs apart

Linesman says...
4:41pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Turtlebay wrote:
Hey you stupid Peelers, the picture is of a woman! Can't you tell the difference?
There are THREE pictures, all of which feature a Male.

If you have read, and more importantly, understand the news item, you would be aware that he, the Male, had previously been in the shop with a Female, so the odds are that the Female in the photograph, is accompanied by the Male in question.

I appreciate that the written word can, at times, be confusing but do hope that this explanation is sufficient for you to understand.

IronLady2010 says...
4:43pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Why is the picture quality so poor? It looks like it's been printed with an empty ink cartridge and then scanned?

SupportTheSaints says...
5:18pm Fri 18 Jan 13

IronLady2010 wrote:
Why is the picture quality so poor? It looks like it's been printed with an empty ink cartridge and then scanned?
It was a 99p store camera ;)

The Wickham Man says...
7:25pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Memo to the police - Can we have a few stills of violent thugs, rapists and con men instead? People who call others names are not a danger to society. If you stopped reading the Guardian and started listening to the public you might catch some real criminals and make the country a bit safer for women, the elderly and the vulnerable

sameoldscene says...
7:30pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Racist insults are not just White on Black/Asian. I have witnessed aggression and insults from our ethnic friends too. Never reported in the media in this manner though.

andysaints007 says...
7:37pm Fri 18 Jan 13

The Wickham Man wrote:
Memo to the police - Can we have a few stills of violent thugs, rapists and con men instead? People who call others names are not a danger to society. If you stopped reading the Guardian and started listening to the public you might catch some real criminals and make the country a bit safer for women, the elderly and the vulnerable
Go away you complete and utter pr*ck

G0Rf says...
8:12pm Fri 18 Jan 13

I done a google search of the 3 letters on the back of his jacket and it came up with a couple of local companies with those letters, one of which has the letters in the same layout and same colour

boobooj says...
8:16pm Fri 18 Jan 13

sameoldscene wrote:
Racist insults are not just White on Black/Asian. I have witnessed aggression and insults from our ethnic friends too. Never reported in the media in this manner though.
Ah, the standard 'only white people can be racist' paranoia post that every story like this needs to have. What is your point exactly? That this racist loser was justified in his actions because some of your so-called 'ethnic friends' do the same and supposedly get away with it?

Have you considered the fact that white people make up the vast majority of this countries population? Obviously not, because if you did, you would then realise that statistically, most race crimes are going to be perpetuated by the majority on the minority. It's a simple fact.

bazzeroz says...
9:22pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Top quality pictures again....... NOT! My webcam takes better pictures than that. No wonder this country's in the state its in.

bazzeroz says...
9:24pm Fri 18 Jan 13

ps. You should be able to catch him when he pops in for his fag papers next week or, Pot Noodles!

babycakes says...
9:35pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Would you believe that this guy also goes around calling himself a security guard lol don't get to attached to that s.i.a badge because i dont think you will have it for much longer lol

lipstick says...
10:02pm Fri 18 Jan 13

I guess his next appearance will be on Jeremy Kyle....all chavs together!

Richard IV says...
10:15pm Fri 18 Jan 13

sameoldscene wrote:
Racist insults are not just White on Black/Asian. I have witnessed aggression and insults from our ethnic friends too. Never reported in the media in this manner though.
Totally agree,why is it that Black/Asian people get abuse its unacceptable.....Whi
te people get abused & we have to get on with it.This country has gone to the dogs.
The abuser is obviously a Knob but come on Police were called & attended...........M
y mate was attacked in Town a couple of months ago & it took the police until the next day to turn up.The Lunatic are taking over the asylum

Pikey-Biker says...
10:21pm Fri 18 Jan 13

babycakes wrote:
Would you believe that this guy also goes around calling himself a security guard lol don't get to attached to that s.i.a badge because i dont think you will have it for much longer lol
..of course if it was you would have sorted it out single handed.....or maybe not

derek james says...
10:24pm Fri 18 Jan 13

andysaints007 wrote:
The Wickham Man wrote:
Memo to the police - Can we have a few stills of violent thugs, rapists and con men instead? People who call others names are not a danger to society. If you stopped reading the Guardian and started listening to the public you might catch some real criminals and make the country a bit safer for women, the elderly and the vulnerable
Go away you complete and utter pr*ck
actually he has a point, until the labour party created the race relations act and all of the baggage that goes with it there didn't seem to be a problem with race relations

babycakes says...
10:26pm Fri 18 Jan 13

****-Biker wrote:
babycakes wrote:
Would you believe that this guy also goes around calling himself a security guard lol don't get to attached to that s.i.a badge because i dont think you will have it for much longer lol
..of course if it was you would have sorted it out single handed.....or maybe not
Sorry i believe you have me mistaken the person MAKING the racist comments goes around saying that HE is a security guard as well sorry if i caused any confusion there

st1halo says...
10:53pm Fri 18 Jan 13

bazzeroz wrote:
Top quality pictures again....... NOT! My webcam takes better pictures than that. No wonder this country's in the state its in.
Absolutely, people come on here saying the country is in a mess because of the government, the banks, Europe, the economy, oil greed, immigration, poverty, the council, global warming, the shifting of economic power, cheap labour, pollution, corrupt leaders but you know and I know it's really all down to cr*p quality pictures from cheapo CCTV cameras isn't it!

st1halo says...
11:11pm Fri 18 Jan 13

boobooj wrote:
sameoldscene wrote:
Racist insults are not just White on Black/Asian. I have witnessed aggression and insults from our ethnic friends too. Never reported in the media in this manner though.
Ah, the standard 'only white people can be racist' paranoia post that every story like this needs to have. What is your point exactly? That this racist loser was justified in his actions because some of your so-called 'ethnic friends' do the same and supposedly get away with it?

Have you considered the fact that white people make up the vast majority of this countries population? Obviously not, because if you did, you would then realise that statistically, most race crimes are going to be perpetuated by the majority on the minority. It's a simple fact.
Ah, the standard 'you're paranoid' rebuttle that perpetuates the myth that only white people can be racist.
Have you considered the fact that racism knows no colour. That it is a bigger problem in some countries where there is no difference in colour? Obviously not, because if you did, you would realise that by singling out part of society whether the white majority or not, you are in fact being racist and failing to recognise that the problem exists universally.

boobooj says...
12:38am Sat 19 Jan 13

st1halo wrote:
boobooj wrote:
sameoldscene wrote:
Racist insults are not just White on Black/Asian. I have witnessed aggression and insults from our ethnic friends too. Never reported in the media in this manner though.
Ah, the standard 'only white people can be racist' paranoia post that every story like this needs to have. What is your point exactly? That this racist loser was justified in his actions because some of your so-called 'ethnic friends' do the same and supposedly get away with it?

Have you considered the fact that white people make up the vast majority of this countries population? Obviously not, because if you did, you would then realise that statistically, most race crimes are going to be perpetuated by the majority on the minority. It's a simple fact.
Ah, the standard 'you're paranoid' rebuttle that perpetuates the myth that only white people can be racist.
Have you considered the fact that racism knows no colour. That it is a bigger problem in some countries where there is no difference in colour? Obviously not, because if you did, you would realise that by singling out part of society whether the white majority or not, you are in fact being racist and failing to recognise that the problem exists universally.
I was talking in the context of this news story and sameoldscenes original comment. Of course there are countries where racism isn't based on colour and instead religion, ethic group etc.. However, I was specifically referring to the UK.

As for the rest of your comment, I've read it 5 times over and I'm sorry mate, but I cant work out what you are trying to say. It appears that you are suggesting that I'm racist because I pointed out the indisputable fact that the majority of the UK is white?

ilovelamp says...
2:18am Sat 19 Jan 13

Wednesday the 6th of Jan, 10.20am safe to say this person doesn't work for a living. Waste of space.

Hunter1234 says...
4:16am Sat 19 Jan 13

Wat bothers me is there is worse crime then some muppet so called security guard asking some 1 to remove there hoodie grow up mr security guard did u get bullied at school or coz u work for 99p store

Pikey-Biker says...
5:19am Sat 19 Jan 13

Hunter1234 wrote:
Wat bothers me is there is worse crime then some muppet so called security guard asking some 1 to remove there hoodie grow up mr security guard did u get bullied at school or coz u work for 99p store
At least he is bothering to go to work and earn a living and paying his taxes, as far as a worse crime I could suggest your spelling

Linesman says...
9:39am Sat 19 Jan 13

derek james wrote:
andysaints007 wrote:
The Wickham Man wrote:
Memo to the police - Can we have a few stills of violent thugs, rapists and con men instead? People who call others names are not a danger to society. If you stopped reading the Guardian and started listening to the public you might catch some real criminals and make the country a bit safer for women, the elderly and the vulnerable
Go away you complete and utter pr*ck
actually he has a point, until the labour party created the race relations act and all of the baggage that goes with it there didn't seem to be a problem with race relations
You are either too young to remember those days before the race relations act was brought in, or too senile to remember.

Racial abuse ie name calling, does not physically hurt a person, but when they react, that is when violence occurs and people get hurt.

Usually it is a group of people who verbally abuse a person or persons of another group - usually when they are part of a smaller group.

Fieldbean says...
9:42am Sat 19 Jan 13

derek james wrote:
andysaints007 wrote:
The Wickham Man wrote:
Memo to the police - Can we have a few stills of violent thugs, rapists and con men instead? People who call others names are not a danger to society. If you stopped reading the Guardian and started listening to the public you might catch some real criminals and make the country a bit safer for women, the elderly and the vulnerable
Go away you complete and utter pr*ck
actually he has a point, until the labour party created the race relations act and all of the baggage that goes with it there didn't seem to be a problem with race relations
Now there is protection in law, and people of different races cannot go around vehemently abusing each other. Hopefully our laws will stop resentment around the world as any person, black, white, Asian, French, Polish, German can be brought before the courts for abusing or discriminating against another on racial grounds.Justice is possible.

wilson castaway says...
5:09pm Sat 19 Jan 13

The Wickham Man wrote:
Memo to the police - Can we have a few stills of violent thugs, rapists and con men instead? People who call others names are not a danger to society. If you stopped reading the Guardian and started listening to the public you might catch some real criminals and make the country a bit safer for women, the elderly and the vulnerable
So if some bloke came up to your wife, face to face and started hurling abuse at her and threatening to attack her and her family( ie. You) you would say 'oh dont worry dear, we shall not call the police, they are busy dealing with real criminals'.

sofa_king_right says...
7:12pm Sat 19 Jan 13

bickering fools

Big Mac says...
2:53pm Sun 20 Jan 13

I've visited that 99p shop and I only had one pee for a change. (And I kept my hood up).

More Echo News