Fri, 25th Apr 2014

Echo News

'Paedo Island' fears raised by residents on Isle of Wight over prison closure plans

11:17am Monday 28th January 2013

'Paedo Island' fears raised by residents

Outraged residents have called for a review into closing an Isle of Wight prison, over fears the move council turn the holiday hotspot into “Paedo Island”.

Campaigners have said that shutting down Camp Hill will mean the majority of the prison population on the island will be serving time for sex offences.

Two prisons on the Isle of Wight - Albany and Parkhurst - already house convicted sex offenders, including notorious paedophiles such as Roger Gleaves, who was jailed for raping two 14-year-old boys in 1998.

The island's third jail, Camp Hill, could close in April as part of a cost-cutting drive.

Claims have been made that this will mean any cons who are locked up for non-sex crimes will be transferred to the mainland.

Isle of Wight Council leader David Pugh has said he is concerned about the job losses the closure of Camp Hill will bring.

He said: "The fact is the island has had many sex offender behind bars for many years and obviously from time to time that will change as prison numbers vary.

"As long as the prisons are secure and managed effectively and offenders are sent back to where they have come from it's not really a concern.

"We are concerned about the job losses associated with the closure of the prison and I will be discussing that next week."

Cllr Pugh will be meeting HMP Isle of Wight Prison Governor Andy Lattimore next Wednesday.

A petition calling for a parliamentary debate on the closure of Camp Hill has also been started by a prison worker.

Camp Hill Prison Officers Association branch secretary Ben Cooper is hoping to get 100,000 signatures to force a parliamentary debate on the subject.

A Ministry of Justice spokeswoman said the decision is still being reviewed.

She added: “The prison estate must meet the needs of the prison population and provide best value for money for the taxpayer. The whole estate is kept under review to ensure that these objectives are being delivered."

Comments(27)

Comments(27)

kingnotail says...
11:24am Mon 28 Jan 13

This is literally straight out of Brass Eye. Nice one echo.

Monshira says...
11:34am Mon 28 Jan 13

'over fears the move council turn the holiday hotspot '

Please learn to write actual english.

massimoosti says...
11:40am Mon 28 Jan 13

Monshira wrote:
'over fears the move council turn the holiday hotspot '

Please learn to write actual english.
Its alarming isn't it..........journali
sts and journalists with spelling & grammer check as well ?

sotonwinch09 says...
11:47am Mon 28 Jan 13

It has been known as that for years. Even without the prisons.

Stillness says...
11:48am Mon 28 Jan 13

Am I missing something or are they complaining that they will have the same number of sex offenders but fewer "other" prisoners? Or is it just a attempt to save some jobs by scaring the locals?

Taskforce 141 says...
12:16pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison...

Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.

Stillness says...
12:30pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Taskforce 141 wrote:
Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison...

Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.
Murders are okay then?

Outside of the Box says...
12:41pm Mon 28 Jan 13

The make up of HMP IOW is thus,,,,All naughty prisoners from Cat C jails get sent to Camp Hill (making it difficult for prison visitors to get) as punishment for being bad boys

Albany,,,,all nonces together, again Cat C nonces (saving space on the rule in other nicks) freeing up the 43 in Winchester for newly convicted nonces.

Parkhurst,,,,Cat C jail (its bleak in there) not many cons want to go there, for the simple reason its on the island.

Prisoners are not likely to settle within the community of the prison useless they live there.

Shoot all nonces and downloaders, and use Albany for all the for proper prisoners of Camp Hill, this saves money on the filth behind bars and transferring all Camp Hill prisoners back to the mainland.

kingnotail says...
1:05pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Taskforce 141 wrote:
Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison...

Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.
The death penalty has no place in a civilised society.

bigfella777 says...
1:31pm Mon 28 Jan 13

kingnotail wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote:
Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison...

Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.
The death penalty has no place in a civilised society.
Neither does having sex with children so what's the answer then?

cantthinkofone says...
1:40pm Mon 28 Jan 13

kingnotail wrote:
This is literally straight out of Brass Eye. Nice one echo.
Quite.

SO50 Saint says...
2:01pm Mon 28 Jan 13

So what happens to Portsea Island now that its lost this title to the Isle of Wight?

Gozza1 says...
3:08pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Errrmm...they're in prison. So unless you're raising fears that they'll escape, what does it matter what they're in there for?

Stillness says...
3:09pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Outside of the Box wrote:
The make up of HMP IOW is thus,,,,All naughty prisoners from Cat C jails get sent to Camp Hill (making it difficult for prison visitors to get) as punishment for being bad boys

Albany,,,,all nonces together, again Cat C nonces (saving space on the rule in other nicks) freeing up the 43 in Winchester for newly convicted nonces.

Parkhurst,,,,Cat C jail (its bleak in there) not many cons want to go there, for the simple reason its on the island.

Prisoners are not likely to settle within the community of the prison useless they live there.

Shoot all nonces and downloaders, and use Albany for all the for proper prisoners of Camp Hill, this saves money on the filth behind bars and transferring all Camp Hill prisoners back to the mainland.
It's very helpful to have an insiders view.

kingnotail says...
4:45pm Mon 28 Jan 13

bigfella777 wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote:
Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison...

Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.
The death penalty has no place in a civilised society.
Neither does having sex with children so what's the answer then?
Life imprisonment, with no possibilty of parole in the worst cases. A society that sanctions murder is a sick one, and no better than the people it seeks to punish.

IronLady2010 says...
5:16pm Mon 28 Jan 13

I actually find this article in poor taste!

Stillness says...
5:23pm Mon 28 Jan 13

IronLady2010 wrote:
I actually find this article in poor taste!
Hmm. Now is it the article, or your taste that is poor?
Just asking ;-)

dango says...
6:12pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Gozza1 wrote:
Errrmm...they're in prison. So unless you're raising fears that they'll escape, what does it matter what they're in there for?
probably the only sensible comment thusfar. I agree, if they're locked up, they're locked up.

Taskforce 141 says...
8:29am Tue 29 Jan 13

Stillness wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote:
Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison...

Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.
Murders are okay then?
Nope, murder is not ok, you can hang murderers too :-)

Taskforce 141 says...
8:30am Tue 29 Jan 13

kingnotail wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote:
Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison...

Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.
The death penalty has no place in a civilised society.
With deep regret I must inform you that we do not live in a civilised society, nor will we if we continue to allow animals to roam free after pathetic short sentences...

kingnotail says...
10:44am Tue 29 Jan 13

Taskforce 141 wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote:
Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison...

Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.
The death penalty has no place in a civilised society.
With deep regret I must inform you that we do not live in a civilised society, nor will we if we continue to allow animals to roam free after pathetic short sentences...
If you really want to live in an uncivilised society I suggest you give Iran, Saudi Arabia or North Korea a try.

Taskforce 141 says...
12:11pm Tue 29 Jan 13

kingnotail wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote:
Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison...

Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.
The death penalty has no place in a civilised society.
With deep regret I must inform you that we do not live in a civilised society, nor will we if we continue to allow animals to roam free after pathetic short sentences...
If you really want to live in an uncivilised society I suggest you give Iran, Saudi Arabia or North Korea a try.
Where did I say I want to live in an uncivilised society?

I don't, but that's what we got - i realise its better than some but it's still not civilised!

kingnotail says...
12:14pm Tue 29 Jan 13

And state-sanctioned murder will help?

throatwarbler says...
1:32pm Tue 29 Jan 13

kingnotail wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote: Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison... Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.
The death penalty has no place in a civilised society.
Neither does having sex with children so what's the answer then?
Life imprisonment, with no possibilty of parole in the worst cases. A society that sanctions murder is a sick one, and no better than the people it seeks to punish.
taken straight from the Ladybird book of Liberalism.

Olympic standard hand wringing.

kingnotail says...
2:14pm Tue 29 Jan 13

throatwarbler wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote: Now; if we were to do the right thing, and hang sex offenders, there would not be an over-abundance of convicted sex offenders in prison... Rapists and Paedos have no place in our society, yet we let them continue to prey on us and our kin.
The death penalty has no place in a civilised society.
Neither does having sex with children so what's the answer then?
Life imprisonment, with no possibilty of parole in the worst cases. A society that sanctions murder is a sick one, and no better than the people it seeks to punish.
taken straight from the Ladybird book of Liberalism.

Olympic standard hand wringing.
The US has the death penalty and it does nothing to to reduce a high violent crime rate.

boobooj says...
11:46pm Tue 29 Jan 13

I'm still confused. So you are saying there is an uproar because closing one prison means there will be less overall prisoners, but a higher percentage of sex offenders in the remaing population, because the prison that is set to close houses 'normal' prisoners?

Is there some sort of pride to be taken in what type of prisoners you have on your island? Who cares as long as they aren't escaping?!

Gary81 says...
2:29am Fri 15 Feb 13

Paedo Island? Not all sex offenders are paedophiles and rapists.

More Echo News