Wed, 16th Apr 2014

Echo Sport

Pardew lining up a move for Punch?

7:10am Thursday 21st February 2013

Pardew lining up a move for Punch?

Alan Pardew will get a first-hand look at Jason Puncheon amid speculation he could make a summer move for the midfielder if Saints fail to offer him a new contract.

The former St Mary’s boss signed Puncheon for Saints just over three years ago and is a huge admirer of the 26-year-old, who is set to feature against Pardew’s Newcastle at St James’ Park this Sunday.

The last time Puncheon was out of favour at Saints, in 2011, Pardew admitted he was monitoring the situation.

And that is reportedly the case again now with the winger’s contract fast running down.

Puncheon’s current deal expires at the end of the season and, while he has stated he is happy at St Mary’s, he will inevitably weigh up his options if no new contract is forthcoming and other offers arrive.

There have been three phases to Puncheon’s Saints career.

The first was as a valued regular under the management of Pardew when it seemed he was set to become a fixture in the side for years to come.

The next, shortly after Nigel Adkins took over, saw Puncheon become an outcast, flung out on several loans and his St Mary’s days seemingly numbered.

The third came when Saints were desperately short of players in his position and Puncheon returned to the fold, all the behind-the-scenes problems magically sorted out.

He hasn’t looked back since that day.

Having helped Saints to promotion from the Championship, he has gone on to establish himself as a first team regular in the Premier League, and performed extremely well.

He has scored six goals already this season, making him Saints’ second top scorer behind Rickie Lambert.

Though Saints have plenty of options for the three attacking roles off of main striker Lambert, they would surely be reluctant to lose Puncheon for nothing.

There would be no shortage of suitors with West Ham and Newcastle the latest sides linked.

As well as signing Puncheon for Saints, Pardew was tracking the midfielder in 2011 when he was out of favour, saying at the time: “Jason was somebody I scooped from MK Dons for a really good price.

“He’s done extremely well and he’s a player I’ll keep an eye on.”

The indications are that Saints may hold fire on offering Puncheon a new contract until they are certain they will be in the Premier League next season.

Comments(79)

Comments(79)

SaintMax says...
7:42am Thu 21 Feb 13

Whether MP has his eyes on better European talent for the right wing, or wants to switch Gaston out to there?
Though Punch is a little one dimensional always cutting in he makes a good partnership with Clyne down that side.
How much would we have to spend to get significantly better?

SaintinCanada says...
7:44am Thu 21 Feb 13

I wonder if a younger JP was a little miffed at the time becase an even-younger AOC was preferred in the role?

We were all young once....and we all get to grow older and think back.

Just a thought.

Hobson82 says...
8:11am Thu 21 Feb 13

I have been impressed with JP everytime I have seen him this season, however I can't help but think he should have scored more than 6 goals. I have seen him miss chances which look easier than the ones he has acutally scored from.

franiow says...
8:17am Thu 21 Feb 13

He has done enough to warrant a new contract, but has to be Mauricio's call. I'm sure he will have been impressed as well. A replacement for Punch would cost a lot of money, so why let a good player go for free.

OSPREYSAINT says...
8:18am Thu 21 Feb 13

QUOTE: The third came when Saints were desperately short of players in his position and Puncheon returned to the fold, all the behind-the-scenes problems magically sorted out.

Was this a fact? Or just speculation? I thought that the return came as result of the two parties getting together and sorting the problem out.

Dubai-saints89 says...
8:26am Thu 21 Feb 13

would be mad not to offer him a contract considering his form this season, hes still pretty young so hes got more to offer i reckon but i wont be surprised if hes gone, with the way the club is run, things aren't predicable the way they used to be. if hes gone, that only means someone younger, better and more expensive will be his replacement...

Clever Dick says...
8:26am Thu 21 Feb 13

Good Morning Judge by 10cc (Skunt version)

Well good morning judge how are you today
We're in trouble 'cos we didn't pay
The FA cup was ours to win
If we threw any principles in the bin
The FA cup was ours to take
If we spent loads of money like an Arab sheik

We didn't want this, it's just not fair
We thought the money came out of thin air
We didn't want this, give us our ground
We want to pay 10p in the pound

Well good morning judge, yes we're back again
We're in trouble 'cos we're corrupt men
We found good players but we didn't pay
So now we've driven them all away

We didn't want this, the cupboard's bare
We spent the money but it wasn't there
We found our saviour, we got Redknapp
The money's spent ,now we're in the cr@p

Nottarf Krap is our home ground
If only some money can be found
Mighty St Marys is the place to be
Now we're a laughing stock hee hee hee
And we're full right up with jealousy
'Cos St Marys is the place you see
A rocking stadium in the premier league

St Marys is the place to be
St Marys is the place to be
St Marys is the place to be

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...
8:43am Thu 21 Feb 13

Clever Dick wrote:
Good Morning Judge by 10cc (Skunt version)

Well good morning judge how are you today
We're in trouble 'cos we didn't pay
The FA cup was ours to win
If we threw any principles in the bin
The FA cup was ours to take
If we spent loads of money like an Arab sheik

We didn't want this, it's just not fair
We thought the money came out of thin air
We didn't want this, give us our ground
We want to pay 10p in the pound

Well good morning judge, yes we're back again
We're in trouble 'cos we're corrupt men
We found good players but we didn't pay
So now we've driven them all away

We didn't want this, the cupboard's bare
We spent the money but it wasn't there
We found our saviour, we got Redknapp
The money's spent ,now we're in the cr@p

Nottarf Krap is our home ground
If only some money can be found
Mighty St Marys is the place to be
Now we're a laughing stock hee hee hee
And we're full right up with jealousy
'Cos St Marys is the place you see
A rocking stadium in the premier league

St Marys is the place to be
St Marys is the place to be
St Marys is the place to be
That's in the album. Top work sir.

Come on the judge!

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...
8:56am Thu 21 Feb 13

I don't see the argument of waiting to see if we stay up or not when we're happy to sign Gaston, Forren and make huge bids on others. Anyway, there is no doubt we are staying up, we outplay everyone we meet and are hard to beat.

Alicesdad says...
9:06am Thu 21 Feb 13

He's playing well, scoring important goals and has become a favourite with the fans .. a minor miracle considering his fall from grace a little while back ... but someone has already said he can be one dimensional, they have a point.

I don't think the decison is anything to do with staying up or not .. I think the intention is for him to move on and MP will be looking to bring in his own signings to fill that slot. An alternative would be to offer a one year extension although that may not suit Punch.

Complicated world isn't it?

santaclaus says...
9:13am Thu 21 Feb 13

I have never understood why use so much energy and time, on caring of what the skunts do or don't. Leave them to hang, alone in their misery, I'll say. My time is to valuable to use it on them.

But this poem of yours, Clever Dick, it's just brilliant! Absolutley top class. I stand corrected, sometimes focusing on the skunts instead of ourself is great! :)

JohnItaly says...
9:14am Thu 21 Feb 13

Perhaps "The Don" has made an offer JP can refuse!

sotonman2012 says...
9:37am Thu 21 Feb 13

I think we are doing the right thing,JP has always stated he wants to play in the premiership,We will wait til we are safe then offer the new deal,Same as wigan who have 9 first team players out of contract oh & I very much doubt JP would even go to Newcastle,Likes it down south

mbetts says...
9:40am Thu 21 Feb 13

He's a good player but not irreplaceable, and he rarely puts it in for the whole 90 minutes (normally pops off for 5 halfway through!)

SaintMax says...
9:52am Thu 21 Feb 13

Lets face it, we can all speculate about why he hasnt signed, but nobody will know the real reason why as NC keeps his cards very close to his chest, and this particular set of dirty laundry even more so.
There is history bentween the Don and JP and that will not bode well for his long term future. Like I have said above, he is one dimensional, and any half decent full back would show him the line, usher him down to the corner flag and watch as he puts his cross behind the goal.
Nobody in this team is indispensable, ....except SRL, Spider, Cork, Shaw, & Clyne..

Outside of the Box says...
10:34am Thu 21 Feb 13

If he goes he goes, if he stays he stays, yes he's played better, but I think we've seen all he has to offer this season and for me, there are better out there who would jump at the chance to come to SMS.

insane saint says...
10:36am Thu 21 Feb 13

he signed the contract when we played everton. did you not see him nip off and sign off on it.

Stroppy_gramps says...
10:36am Thu 21 Feb 13

so basically

1) His contract is running out
2) Someone else might be looking at him.


nothing else to report DE?

bigfella777 says...
10:59am Thu 21 Feb 13

Nothing else to say so the Echo just makes rubbish like this up,Punch is not French so why would Pardew be looking at him.Cr@p

Tirau Dan says...
11:39am Thu 21 Feb 13

Stirring the pot..

Don't believe a bar of it.

scprof says...
11:41am Thu 21 Feb 13

bigfella777 wrote:
Nothing else to say so the Echo just makes rubbish like this up,Punch is not French so why would Pardew be looking at him.Cr@p
Just what I was thinking. And the signings at Newcastle have nothing to do with Pardew. So far he has not signed one English player that I am aware of for Newcastle.

Tirau Dan says...
12:01pm Thu 21 Feb 13

How the heck do you know if it's the club not offering or his agent that won't talk? End of season is business time when prices are more apparent.

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...
12:09pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Outside of the Box wrote:
If he goes he goes, if he stays he stays, yes he's played better, but I think we've seen all he has to offer this season and for me, there are better out there who would jump at the chance to come to SMS.
Yes. But if we don't re-sign him he goes on a free and if we do re-sign him he either stays or goes for a good price.

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...
12:10pm Thu 21 Feb 13

SaintMax wrote:
Lets face it, we can all speculate about why he hasnt signed, but nobody will know the real reason why as NC keeps his cards very close to his chest, and this particular set of dirty laundry even more so.
There is history bentween the Don and JP and that will not bode well for his long term future. Like I have said above, he is one dimensional, and any half decent full back would show him the line, usher him down to the corner flag and watch as he puts his cross behind the goal.
Nobody in this team is indispensable, ....except SRL, Spider, Cork, Shaw, & Clyne..
You've forgotten the greatest of the lot. Adam.

Confucious says...
12:18pm Thu 21 Feb 13

I think Punch may well score at least two of our four at St James' Park this week. That may cement Pardew's interest, but after Punch has done his new celebration ritual twice at the Gallowgate End, the Newcastle fans will know what he thinks of them.

Come on Metalist Kharkiv - give 'em a hard game tonight.

Tirau Dan says...
12:24pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Any chance of some stories about our fantastic young heros in the U18s and U21s.. What a great job they are all doing with such awesome spirit in the camp too.

It really isn't going to be long before two or three will be in very serious contention for the firsts.

fritzer says...
12:42pm Thu 21 Feb 13

May be a Puncheon is a nice young feller and now doing well for the team, but I wish he refrained from that foolish SCHLOOL BOY action of thumbing his nose when celebrating, as it doesn't compliment the good deed achieved.I am not a snob, but it just doesn,t look "Saintly" COYMS.

Norwegian Saint says...
1:18pm Thu 21 Feb 13

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
QUOTE: The third came when Saints were desperately short of players in his position and Puncheon returned to the fold, all the behind-the-scenes problems magically sorted out. Was this a fact? Or just speculation? I thought that the return came as result of the two parties getting together and sorting the problem out.
Totally agree, was angry to see this quote by the DE.
The third point was Punchys apology after sitting down with the bosses.
I at first was dubious about his return but now... I see him as a contender for player of the season... along with Rickie... and Spider... and Corky... oh and Clyne... not forgetting Maya... or JWP... and Luuuuuke Shaw.... even Fonte... ok maybe not J-Rod.. but maybe Lallana... or that Davis chap... Boruc? possibly... maybe .... Gaston... oh and Guly (ok, maybe not)... how about Fox... going to be a tough call this year!
Come on you Saints!!!

CB FRY LIVES says...
1:18pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Cortese and Jason has some previous so i expect NC to hang puncheon out to dry for a little bit longer.if he does go don't be suprised if saints make a move to bring back the OX in the summer.he isn't featuring as often as he should with the gunners.

mack chinnon says...
1:25pm Thu 21 Feb 13

CB FRY LIVES wrote:
Cortese and Jason has some previous so i expect NC to hang puncheon out to dry for a little bit longer.if he does go don't be suprised if saints make a move to bring back the OX in the summer.he isn't featuring as often as he should with the gunners.
I reckon we will win a trophy before Arsenal.

Outside of the Box says...
1:59pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
Outside of the Box wrote:
If he goes he goes, if he stays he stays, yes he's played better, but I think we've seen all he has to offer this season and for me, there are better out there who would jump at the chance to come to SMS.
Yes. But if we don't re-sign him he goes on a free and if we do re-sign him he either stays or goes for a good price.
My point is, we probably paid MK Dons peanuts for him originally, Cortese might just want him off the wage bill therefore letting go for free, not good business in my opinion, however you know more about Cortese better than me.

saintkenny says...
2:02pm Thu 21 Feb 13

well its been said that nc is waiting to see if we keep clear of relegation .regarding the contract jason is offered .i mean if we dont survive then is contract will be about the same as it is now .this is the reason .no players can be signed with the window shut .so it makes sense .before you look at contracts you must run within your budget .its cost other clubs big time .qpr will find it come may .looks like harrys done another pompey there .if fernandez quits there fu@ked like the blue few

Dave Juson says...
2:09pm Thu 21 Feb 13

An understandable error, given the number of games he played for them, but Punch was actually signed from Plymouth Argyle. He'd was on a 'season long' loan at MK Dons when Saints stepped in for him.

milton road says...
2:13pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Actually it maybe JP who is waiting to see if Saints stay up not the club. He has always made it more than clear that he wanted premiership football and has got it. He is not going to give it up.
We have 12 games and every one is a cup final. We have several difficult games ahead. Just as we have been in a long hard run. We have five or six players who know what it is like to play under pressure for us and they delivered for us, we need them to step up and deliver again.

milton road says...
2:13pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Actually it maybe JP who is waiting to see if Saints stay up not the club. He has always made it more than clear that he wanted premiership football and has got it. He is not going to give it up.
We have 12 games and every one is a cup final. We have several difficult games ahead. Just as we have been in a long hard run. We have five or six players who know what it is like to play under pressure for us and they delivered for us, we need them to step up and deliver again.

EricMartin'sHat says...
2:27pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Clever Dick wrote:
Good Morning Judge by 10cc (Skunt version)

Well good morning judge how are you today
We're in trouble 'cos we didn't pay
The FA cup was ours to win
If we threw any principles in the bin
The FA cup was ours to take
If we spent loads of money like an Arab sheik

We didn't want this, it's just not fair
We thought the money came out of thin air
We didn't want this, give us our ground
We want to pay 10p in the pound

Well good morning judge, yes we're back again
We're in trouble 'cos we're corrupt men
We found good players but we didn't pay
So now we've driven them all away

We didn't want this, the cupboard's bare
We spent the money but it wasn't there
We found our saviour, we got Redknapp
The money's spent ,now we're in the cr@p

Nottarf Krap is our home ground
If only some money can be found
Mighty St Marys is the place to be
Now we're a laughing stock hee hee hee
And we're full right up with jealousy
'Cos St Marys is the place you see
A rocking stadium in the premier league

St Marys is the place to be
St Marys is the place to be
St Marys is the place to be
Nice one!

Art for Art's sake (Boruc - see what I did there?).... or.......
Load up, Load up with Rickie Lambert...
Life is a Pochettino.....
I'm not in Love, it's just a phase of play I'm going through .... da, da, da, da, da

Anyway - why would we not want to keep Punch (unless he gets greedy), and why would he want to go to Newcastle or Hammers, when he'd probably get into better teams' first eleven? Just Pardew stirring up a bit of trouble methinks.

allsaintsnocurves says...
2:27pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Boring...change the record Echo Punch is going nowhere.

Cortese has already said he is not going to offer a new contract to Punch until we are safe from relegation. When that is confirmed he will get a new deal.

jonny-shuttle says...
2:37pm Thu 21 Feb 13

until we're safe from relegation i dont see how any contract renewals can take place. I'm pretty sure Punch will be offerred a decent contract in due course.

Confucious says...
2:47pm Thu 21 Feb 13

fritzer wrote:
May be a Puncheon is a nice young feller and now doing well for the team, but I wish he refrained from that foolish SCHLOOL BOY action of thumbing his nose when celebrating, as it doesn't compliment the good deed achieved.I am not a snob, but it just doesn,t look "Saintly" COYMS.
Well said - couldn't agree more. The thumbnose bit is very childish in my opinion.

However, I do hope he keeps the mock bumwiping at the cornerflag.

Such self deprecation is very commendable and it's an excellent example of the importance of good personal hygiene to all the many youngsters watching.

I think Punch will soon appreciate that thumbnosing is a deliberate, gratuitous and very downmarket gesture to make, whereas bumwiping is of course encouraged, not least in the most polite society.

I have written to Punch, however, to request that once the wiping gesture is made, he quickly adds a mime of pulling a chain and washing his hands.

It would also be nice if one of the rotating ads on our pitch perimeter could read "Wiping your bum, then pulling the chain and washing your hands is Saintly"

kinkyboots09 says...
2:58pm Thu 21 Feb 13

tThe Echo rolling a story Pardew v Cortese trick..yaaawwwwwnnnn

fritzer says...
3:39pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Confucious wrote:
fritzer wrote:
May be a Puncheon is a nice young feller and now doing well for the team, but I wish he refrained from that foolish SCHLOOL BOY action of thumbing his nose when celebrating, as it doesn't compliment the good deed achieved.I am not a snob, but it just doesn,t look "Saintly" COYMS.
Well said - couldn't agree more. The thumbnose bit is very childish in my opinion.

However, I do hope he keeps the mock bumwiping at the cornerflag.

Such self deprecation is very commendable and it's an excellent example of the importance of good personal hygiene to all the many youngsters watching.

I think Punch will soon appreciate that thumbnosing is a deliberate, gratuitous and very downmarket gesture to make, whereas bumwiping is of course encouraged, not least in the most polite society.

I have written to Punch, however, to request that once the wiping gesture is made, he quickly adds a mime of pulling a chain and washing his hands.

It would also be nice if one of the rotating ads on our pitch perimeter could read "Wiping your bum, then pulling the chain and washing your hands is Saintly"
Think he'll thumbs up that one !!!!

The Inbetweener says...
4:20pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Are there any SAINTS fans out there with a spare ticket for Sunday's game?

warrens 76 says...
4:24pm Thu 21 Feb 13

fritzer wrote:
Confucious wrote:
fritzer wrote:
May be a Puncheon is a nice young feller and now doing well for the team, but I wish he refrained from that foolish SCHLOOL BOY action of thumbing his nose when celebrating, as it doesn't compliment the good deed achieved.I am not a snob, but it just doesn,t look "Saintly" COYMS.
Well said - couldn't agree more. The thumbnose bit is very childish in my opinion.

However, I do hope he keeps the mock bumwiping at the cornerflag.

Such self deprecation is very commendable and it's an excellent example of the importance of good personal hygiene to all the many youngsters watching.

I think Punch will soon appreciate that thumbnosing is a deliberate, gratuitous and very downmarket gesture to make, whereas bumwiping is of course encouraged, not least in the most polite society.

I have written to Punch, however, to request that once the wiping gesture is made, he quickly adds a mime of pulling a chain and washing his hands.

It would also be nice if one of the rotating ads on our pitch perimeter could read "Wiping your bum, then pulling the chain and washing your hands is Saintly"
Think he'll thumbs up that one !!!!
Very important that appropriate bogbrush motions are also observed...

...am I alone at being horrified to find someone has left outrageous, unsightly and indeed unhygenic skid marks..

A bogbrush motion is very much required to complete the picture..

Alicesdad says...
4:44pm Thu 21 Feb 13

A blonde gets a job as a teacher.
She notices a boy in the field standing alone, while all the other kids are running around having fun.

She takes pity on him and decides to speak to him.
'You ok?' she says.
'Yes.' he says.
'You can go and play with the other kids you know.' she says.

'It's best I stay here.' he says.

'Why?' says the blonde.


















The boy says: 'Because, I'm the goalie'

Alicesdad says...
4:45pm Thu 21 Feb 13

I'm bored.. when is there going to be some news?

Clever Dick says...
4:48pm Thu 21 Feb 13

santaclaus wrote:
I have never understood why use so much energy and time, on caring of what the skunts do or don't. Leave them to hang, alone in their misery, I'll say. My time is to valuable to use it on them.

But this poem of yours, Clever Dick, it's just brilliant! Absolutley top class. I stand corrected, sometimes focusing on the skunts instead of ourself is great! :)
Praise indeed! Actually I do feel for the proper footie fans having a hard time at any club......even the Skunts. It's just nice to keep reminding the Skate morons who visit this site, playing the same old record about ancient history, who need a constant reminder about their current position. And ours, the mighty Saints in the Premier League

RedArmy1 says...
5:09pm Thu 21 Feb 13

PUNCH could do even BETTER !!

As posted before great goal against CHELSEA AWAY and also QPR AWAY.
Like to see him score more regularly at Home and score this weekend against Newcastle.

WE HAVE A FANTASTIC AWAY SQUAD and WE GO TO NEWCASTLE TO WIN !!

WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON.

NO FEAR - NO SURRENDER.

RF/RED ARMY 2013. FIGHT AND WIN.

RED ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMY.

WE H8 POMPEY !!!

warrens 76 says...
5:42pm Thu 21 Feb 13

RedArmy1 wrote:
PUNCH could do even BETTER !!

As posted before great goal against CHELSEA AWAY and also QPR AWAY.
Like to see him score more regularly at Home and score this weekend against Newcastle.

WE HAVE A FANTASTIC AWAY SQUAD and WE GO TO NEWCASTLE TO WIN !!

WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON.

NO FEAR - NO SURRENDER.

RF/RED ARMY 2013. FIGHT AND WIN.

RED ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMY.

WE H8 POMPEY !!!
hen you say weH( pompey..we could H

StevieSteve says...
5:47pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Outside of the Box wrote:
If he goes he goes, if he stays he stays, yes he's played better, but I think we've seen all he has to offer this season and for me, there are better out there who would jump at the chance to come to SMS.
LIKE WHO?????????????

Puncheon is doing fantastic, have you not seen him play?? He'll be pulling on a saints shirt next year 100%.

There's no way Cortese will let a player of that quality and age go for free...

Velleity says...
5:50pm Thu 21 Feb 13

I blame Guly

Strasbourg Saint says...
5:56pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Newcastle? Don't think so. I mean, does Punch even have a French passport?

slugger says...
6:07pm Thu 21 Feb 13

If Jason doesn't get offered or sign a new contract i'll be surprised ....... however , any replacement will be top drawer imo , Nicola voted against the new financial rules for a reason and it speaks volumes to me ....... COYR !!!

Saintsayer II says...
6:52pm Thu 21 Feb 13

This sounds like an agent trying to up the anti

Baddesley Bill says...
7:11pm Thu 21 Feb 13

I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR

warrens 76 says...
7:31pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
You have to lure them in Bill, sprat to catch a mackeral, eel be in the right plaice if he keeps up the moray-eel in the team, dab hand at helping Rickie with the goals, absolute bass-tard if he goes, here's topeing he does'nt, a firm rudd-er no need for anyone to enc-roach as long as we stay perch-ed above the relegation zone, i think he will barbel along nicely, he did not flounder in this league and pike it or not he is a ray of sunshine...

And he is not a skate, agreed not a monk (fish) either, reely fell the tench-ion ....you.

MGRA says...
7:36pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...

slugger says...
7:45pm Thu 21 Feb 13

MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .

warrens 76 says...
7:46pm Thu 21 Feb 13

MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
Jungle drums? in this information superhighwayinterweb day I for one think a better means of communication is available....

Bring back Branfoot says...
7:48pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Dave Juson wrote:
An understandable error, given the number of games he played for them, but Punch was actually signed from Plymouth Argyle. He'd was on a 'season long' loan at MK Dons when Saints stepped in for him.
Thank you for marking the Echo's card Mr Juson. I too noticed the mistake and have been sitting in front of my PC slowly simmering. Journalism today Pah!

Bring back Branfoot says...
8:02pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Punch isn't going anywhere with NC at the helm, that wily Italian fox will have everything in hand. There's no flies on Nicola and if there are, they're paying rent.

Baddesley Bill says...
8:03pm Thu 21 Feb 13

MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
You missed my point....if he wasn't playng so well, he would be unable to walk into another contract....as proven last season.

The hunger to succeed at this level has helped him develope without doubt.

We either cash in...or sign him up on a life changing contract.

Not my decision to make...as I don't know his mindset.

Tirau Dan says...
8:49pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
who knows whats around the corner and who knows that it isn't Punch's agent that doesn;t want to talk until later when he can talk to other clubs? we don;t know so why bother worrying about stories like this.. Nigel Adkins already said when asked: wrong time to talk contracts they are all about football at the moment.. I don;t think that has changed

Confucious says...
9:07pm Thu 21 Feb 13

slugger wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .
Not so sure slugger.

Pardon the rather slack anomatopoeia, but I just heard this "tom tum, tom tum, boom tom, boom tom, ka ka, boom ka ka, boom, ba dum tsshhh" sound coming over the Forest.

Unfortunately, I simply don't know what it means. I just hope it's nothing to do with Punch.

slugger says...
9:11pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Confucious wrote:
slugger wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .
Not so sure slugger.

Pardon the rather slack anomatopoeia, but I just heard this "tom tum, tom tum, boom tom, boom tom, ka ka, boom ka ka, boom, ba dum tsshhh" sound coming over the Forest.

Unfortunately, I simply don't know what it means. I just hope it's nothing to do with Punch.
Rather slack what ? ....... I'm sorry to hear that and it gets better .

slugger says...
9:12pm Thu 21 Feb 13

slugger wrote:
Confucious wrote:
slugger wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .
Not so sure slugger.

Pardon the rather slack anomatopoeia, but I just heard this "tom tum, tom tum, boom tom, boom tom, ka ka, boom ka ka, boom, ba dum tsshhh" sound coming over the Forest.

Unfortunately, I simply don't know what it means. I just hope it's nothing to do with Punch.
Rather slack what ? ....... I'm sorry to hear that and it gets better .
*hope ....... DOH !

warrens 76 says...
9:19pm Thu 21 Feb 13

slugger wrote:
Confucious wrote:
slugger wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .
Not so sure slugger.

Pardon the rather slack anomatopoeia, but I just heard this "tom tum, tom tum, boom tom, boom tom, ka ka, boom ka ka, boom, ba dum tsshhh" sound coming over the Forest.

Unfortunately, I simply don't know what it means. I just hope it's nothing to do with Punch.
Rather slack what ? ....... I'm sorry to hear that and it gets better .
Loathe as one is to cast aspersions on a fellow poster's spellin Confucious, however is it not onomatopoeia.....

..noun, relating to a word that imitates the sound to which it is alluding to..an example given, hiss...

....rhymes with taking the pi$$, Matt le Tiss and Skates are remiss..

Confucious says...
10:02pm Thu 21 Feb 13

warrens 76 wrote:
slugger wrote:
Confucious wrote:
slugger wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .
Not so sure slugger.

Pardon the rather slack anomatopoeia, but I just heard this "tom tum, tom tum, boom tom, boom tom, ka ka, boom ka ka, boom, ba dum tsshhh" sound coming over the Forest.

Unfortunately, I simply don't know what it means. I just hope it's nothing to do with Punch.
Rather slack what ? ....... I'm sorry to hear that and it gets better .
Loathe as one is to cast aspersions on a fellow poster's spellin Confucious, however is it not onomatopoeia.....

..noun, relating to a word that imitates the sound to which it is alluding to..an example given, hiss...

....rhymes with taking the pi$$, Matt le Tiss and Skates are remiss..
Unfortunately, I'm now too preoccupied to give this serious consideration. Within the hour I think I shall become the first person in history to demonstrate that the chemical formula for an ice cube is H2o squared.

Rising_Son says...
10:14pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Confucious wrote:
warrens 76 wrote:
slugger wrote:
Confucious wrote:
slugger wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .
Not so sure slugger.

Pardon the rather slack anomatopoeia, but I just heard this "tom tum, tom tum, boom tom, boom tom, ka ka, boom ka ka, boom, ba dum tsshhh" sound coming over the Forest.

Unfortunately, I simply don't know what it means. I just hope it's nothing to do with Punch.
Rather slack what ? ....... I'm sorry to hear that and it gets better .
Loathe as one is to cast aspersions on a fellow poster's spellin Confucious, however is it not onomatopoeia.....

..noun, relating to a word that imitates the sound to which it is alluding to..an example given, hiss...

....rhymes with taking the pi$$, Matt le Tiss and Skates are remiss..
Unfortunately, I'm now too preoccupied to give this serious consideration. Within the hour I think I shall become the first person in history to demonstrate that the chemical formula for an ice cube is H2o squared.
Sorry to disagree but I think you'll find it's H2O cubed.

bluewhiteandred says...
10:28pm Thu 21 Feb 13

My plan B ground share at St marys idea on pompey news site has had few a few thumbs up !

Baddesley Bill says...
10:41pm Thu 21 Feb 13

bluewhiteandred wrote:
My plan B ground share at St marys idea on pompey news site has had few a few thumbs up !
No thanks...ours is already full...

...move along now.

MGRA says...
10:42pm Thu 21 Feb 13

slugger wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .
not quite. We move in slightly different circles.

MGRA says...
10:54pm Thu 21 Feb 13

AOC was still "going nowhere" according to many on here when i was talking to one of the guys involved in the purchase of his London home.....lol.....The
re are it appears two clubs seriously courting Punch and its wages that may mean we loose out....

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...
1:04am Fri 22 Feb 13

bluewhiteandred wrote:
My plan B ground share at St marys idea on pompey news site has had few a few thumbs up !
Not for 25 quid son.

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...
1:06am Fri 22 Feb 13

MGRA wrote:
slugger wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .
not quite. We move in slightly different circles.
Pompoustwat

Sainty saint saint says...
8:28am Fri 22 Feb 13

MGRA wrote:
AOC was still "going nowhere" according to many on here when i was talking to one of the guys involved in the purchase of his London home.....lol.....The

re are it appears two clubs seriously courting Punch and its wages that may mean we loose out....
God, you really are a self-important d1ck aren't you? I'm tired of hearing your 'in-the-know' claptrap. Fire off enough rumours and one is bound to hit the mark.

warrens 76 says...
9:54am Fri 22 Feb 13

Confucious wrote:
warrens 76 wrote:
slugger wrote:
Confucious wrote:
slugger wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .
Not so sure slugger.

Pardon the rather slack anomatopoeia, but I just heard this "tom tum, tom tum, boom tom, boom tom, ka ka, boom ka ka, boom, ba dum tsshhh" sound coming over the Forest.

Unfortunately, I simply don't know what it means. I just hope it's nothing to do with Punch.
Rather slack what ? ....... I'm sorry to hear that and it gets better .
Loathe as one is to cast aspersions on a fellow poster's spellin Confucious, however is it not onomatopoeia.....

..noun, relating to a word that imitates the sound to which it is alluding to..an example given, hiss...

....rhymes with taking the pi$$, Matt le Tiss and Skates are remiss..
Unfortunately, I'm now too preoccupied to give this serious consideration. Within the hour I think I shall become the first person in history to demonstrate that the chemical formula for an ice cube is H2o squared.
I C O too, what your up to.

st1halo says...
12:25pm Fri 22 Feb 13

bluewhiteandred wrote:
My plan B ground share at St marys idea on pompey news site has had few a few thumbs up !
Cool, we have reserved the grassy knoll opposite the stadium for you along with one parking space for all your fans!

STID

OSPREYSAINT says...
7:42pm Fri 22 Feb 13

MGRA wrote:
AOC was still "going nowhere" according to many on here when i was talking to one of the guys involved in the purchase of his London home.....lol.....The

re are it appears two clubs seriously courting Punch and its wages that may mean we loose out....
That should be lose not loose. How come you are lucid some days and inarticulate another, are you schizo?

OSPREYSAINT says...
7:44pm Fri 22 Feb 13

slugger wrote:
slugger wrote:
Confucious wrote:
slugger wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Baddesley Bill wrote:
I agree that Punch is well worth a new contract....but...we do seem to be getting the best out of him by keeping him hungrey for that contract.

It's no doubt a balancing act that MP and NC have to manage.

Treat em mean...keep em keen...but ffs don't lose em on a free! COYR
he is not hungry for any contract.... he could walk into 1 of 10 Premier League clubs for next season on a nice deal. If we keep our players fit and keep as we are then we are staying up so the only reason JP has not put pen to paper is that he has not been offered a good enough deal as he sees it...He should have been offered the best possible since he is one of our best players with a release clause if we get relegated. Its not rcket science but the fact he is not nailed down means the expectations of the club and his are not at a joining point. I wish him to stay but I have a feeling he will go, and jungle drums are suggesting 2 clubs...
you know the same as me ...... sod all .
Not so sure slugger.

Pardon the rather slack anomatopoeia, but I just heard this "tom tum, tom tum, boom tom, boom tom, ka ka, boom ka ka, boom, ba dum tsshhh" sound coming over the Forest.

Unfortunately, I simply don't know what it means. I just hope it's nothing to do with Punch.
Rather slack what ? ....... I'm sorry to hear that and it gets better .
*hope ....... DOH !
Vote Hope if you live in Eastleigh, just for the hell of it.

More Echo Sport