Fri, 25th Apr 2014

Echo Sport

St Mary's set for goal-line technology as early as next season

3:36pm Thursday 28th February 2013

St Mary's set for goal-line technology as early as next season

Saints will be obliged to have goal-line technology systems at St Mary's from as early as next season.

Assuming they stay up Saints will fall into line with the rest of the top flight clubs with the Premier League in "advanced talks" with two of the three licensed providers of the technology, Hampshire based Hawkeye and GoalRef, and are hopeful that all 20 clubs will have a system in place by August.

Having a system will be a pre-condition to taking part in the top flight, so all promoted clubs will have to implement the systems as well.

A meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB), the game's law-making body, will be told at a meeting in Edinburgh on Saturday that the first uses of technology at FIFA's Club World Cup in Japan in December were a resounding success.

That report to IFAB will remove any remaining issues about the systems being used in professional leagues.

Premier League communications director Dan Johnson said clubs would not be able to opt-out of having a system but that the cost would not be prohibitive to the 20 sides, who will all benefit from the bumper new television deals from next season.

He said: "We are in advanced discussions with two of the companies who provide the systems and we are working on the basis of having goal-line technology in place for the start of the season.

"All clubs will have to have the system to ensure the universal integrity of the competition, including those who are promoted."

The Premier League provided seed money to help Hawkeye develop a goal-line technology system back in 2007, but there is no longer a formal relationship with the British company, which is now owned by Sony.

League chiefs will choose a system based on both cost and ease of implementation and use.

FIFA will report to IFAB that both systems worked without errors in Japan - all 21 goals scored in the tournament were flashed to the referee's wrist-device within a second of the ball crossing the line.

Furthermore, no goals were registered when the ball struck the woodwork or the side-netting - issues that led to a number of other systems being refused licenses during testing last year.

Hawkeye is a camera-based system while GoalRef uses sensors on the posts and crossbar which detect changes in the magnetic field when the ball crosses the line.

Earlier this week, FIFA licensed a third company, German firm CAIROS, which also uses magnetic fields. A fourth company, also German, is expected to be licensed in the near future.

Comments(28)

Comments(28)

saintkenny says...
3:41pm Thu 28 Feb 13

thats good premier league pioneers .as were 1st to bring in floodlights aswell changed the world of football

RedArmy1 says...
3:43pm Thu 28 Feb 13

WE ARE NUMBER ONE IN THE SOUTH.

WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON.

INTO:

KING ALFRED
THE PRINCE OF WALES
NORTHAM CLUB
ROYAL OAK.

WE WILL BE AT ST MARY'S TO SEE THE MIGHTY SAINTS SMASH QPR.

F*CK OFF 'ARRY. WE H8 POMPEY.

RED ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMY.

Alicesdad says...
3:47pm Thu 28 Feb 13

This technology wil mean that when Morgan Schneiderlin scores a goal there will be no doubt it went over the line.

Morgan Schneiderlin will give his exclusive opinion on the new technology in tommorows Echo.

Alicesdad says...
3:47pm Thu 28 Feb 13

I predict a riot

OSPREYSAINT says...
3:48pm Thu 28 Feb 13

All we need to do now is get the ball somewhere in the vicinity of the goal line.

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...
3:51pm Thu 28 Feb 13

RedArmy1 wrote:
WE ARE NUMBER ONE IN THE SOUTH.

WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON.

INTO:

KING ALFRED
THE PRINCE OF WALES
NORTHAM CLUB
ROYAL OAK.

WE WILL BE AT ST MARY'S TO SEE THE MIGHTY SAINTS SMASH QPR.

F*CK OFF 'ARRY. WE H8 POMPEY.

RED ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMY.
What's wrong with the Joshua Tree?

saintkenny says...
3:58pm Thu 28 Feb 13

take a look at the picture skunts ,and look at eyesore shythole you play in .a stadium for the future fully paid buy the club .marcus lieber paid the remains owing after saints paid every year after completion in 1999 .and saints paid marcus lieber the money back with profit all legally above board .st marys to be icreased to 42 then to 48.000 .then we can pay players 70.000 a week not when we have a 20.000 outdated stadium .its called buliding infrastrcure planning for the future .this end of the m27 light years ahead coyr

Confucious says...
4:34pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Disputed off side decisions are far more frequent than disputed goal line decisions.

I have written to Nicola suggesting that we trial a new fail-safe electronic "Boss-Eye" system which has been developed by Confucious Enterprises Inc.

All players on the pitch have a two tiny radio transmitters attached - one to the left testicle and the second just under the right hand side of the foreskin. The split second a player is offside, it is picked up by highly sensitive triangulation receptors pitchside and an alarm goes off in the ref's earpiece whilst simultaneously, a small shock is delivered to the players tackle to stop him in his tracks.

Until now, the only equipment available, was a rather bulky **** type receiver/transmitter which had to be inserted up the player's jackseys. This was both uncomfortable and impractical, as Punch demonstrated during a special privately arranged trial he ran for me at a Saints match a few weeks ago.

I have not heard back from Nicola yet, but that may be because he's still studying my prototype bionic Lambert machine.

damoose says...
5:15pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Well at least things like this make sense, dropping Punch after a MoM performance agaisnt Prem Champs and a 15 day rest dosent

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...
6:07pm Thu 28 Feb 13

damoose wrote:
Well at least things like this make sense, dropping Punch after a MoM performance agaisnt Prem Champs and a 15 day rest dosent
That's a fair point.

When are we going to offer him a new contract? Many posted that we were waiting to see which league we ended up in, that argument was blown away by the announcement of the extension to Morgans contract.

Velleity says...
6:15pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
RedArmy1 wrote:
WE ARE NUMBER ONE IN THE SOUTH.

WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON.

INTO:

KING ALFRED
THE PRINCE OF WALES
NORTHAM CLUB
ROYAL OAK.

WE WILL BE AT ST MARY'S TO SEE THE MIGHTY SAINTS SMASH QPR.

F*CK OFF 'ARRY. WE H8 POMPEY.

RED ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMY.
What's wrong with the Joshua Tree?
I'm out before the game with a bunch of QPR nutters. If I survive, I'll be in the JT after the game with Velleity Jr.

Velleity says...
6:19pm Thu 28 Feb 13

And, back on topic, who gives a toss about the technology? Bad decisions balance out over a season. People used to be able to live with it but it takes maturity to do that. All this will do is lead to calls for more and more technology that isn't available to a team on a Sunday morning.

One of the great things about footy was always that playing after school you were playing to exactly the same rules as in the World Cup final. No longer. A sad day.

memush says...
7:46pm Thu 28 Feb 13

At last--football about the last sport to encompass technogoly. about time its some 15 years behind the times.

Confucious says...
8:08pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
RedArmy1 wrote:
WE ARE NUMBER ONE IN THE SOUTH.

WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON.

INTO:

KING ALFRED
THE PRINCE OF WALES
NORTHAM CLUB
ROYAL OAK.

WE WILL BE AT ST MARY'S TO SEE THE MIGHTY SAINTS SMASH QPR.

F*CK OFF 'ARRY. WE H8 POMPEY.

RED ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMY.
What's wrong with the Joshua Tree?
Punch blocked the toilets last night with a three and a half pounder

Strasbourg Saint says...
9:26pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Velleity wrote:
And, back on topic, who gives a toss about the technology? Bad decisions balance out over a season. People used to be able to live with it but it takes maturity to do that. All this will do is lead to calls for more and more technology that isn't available to a team on a Sunday morning.

One of the great things about footy was always that playing after school you were playing to exactly the same rules as in the World Cup final. No longer. A sad day.
I give a t0ss, Velleity, and - big club bias and all that - I DON'T believe things even themselves out over a season. If someone can prove me wrong, I'll take it on the chin, but I doubt anyone can.

Also, I fail to see what point you (and Retford in an earlier thread) are trying to make about the professional game being the same as the one played after school (with jumpers for posts etc.). Try as I might, I can't remember having refs and flag-waving assistants on the local rec when, as kids, we turned our pullies into posts; neither can I remember getting 20 grand a week for doing so. The similarities start and end with a football and the final score.

And, while I'm not advocating that it's used for everything, I don't think we should stop at technology to check if the ball has crossed the line.

How many 'hand of God' goals, Lampard or Hirst strikes, penalty-winning dives or shirt pulls will it take before available technology is used (partly to correct certain decisions during a game or to fully punish offenders after a game) to ensure that the game becomes fairer and cleaner?

Bring it on!

Strasbourg Saint says...
9:38pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Confucious wrote:
Disputed off side decisions are far more frequent than disputed goal line decisions.

I have written to Nicola suggesting that we trial a new fail-safe electronic "Boss-Eye" system which has been developed by Confucious Enterprises Inc.

All players on the pitch have a two tiny radio transmitters attached - one to the left testicle and the second just under the right hand side of the foreskin. The split second a player is offside, it is picked up by highly sensitive triangulation receptors pitchside and an alarm goes off in the ref's earpiece whilst simultaneously, a small shock is delivered to the players tackle to stop him in his tracks.

Until now, the only equipment available, was a rather bulky **** type receiver/transmitter which had to be inserted up the player's jackseys. This was both uncomfortable and impractical, as Punch demonstrated during a special privately arranged trial he ran for me at a Saints match a few weeks ago.

I have not heard back from Nicola yet, but that may be because he's still studying my prototype bionic Lambert machine.
Confucious, it's certainly time players had their testies tested when they stray offside. Papa Waigo would have been twice the player if he'd felt a certain tingling every time he edged forward.

But, and this is very serious, as an English teacher (prone, like the rest of us, to grammatical and spelling errors on here from time to time) I feel that I must check which players you've been watching. You wrote above, 'a rather bulky **** type receiver/transmitter which had to be inserted up the player's jackseys'.

So, that's ONE player, with more than one jacksey? That must make any kind of run a bit tricky

Do you remember the Monty Python sketch about the man with three butt0cks? http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=PqosS6DBw
hA

north wales saint 2 says...
9:47pm Thu 28 Feb 13

in answer to saintkenny as much as I love Saints I also like facts Sheffield united had floodlit football in1878 and my local team Rhyl had floodlights in 1879

Thornhill Saint says...
9:48pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
RedArmy1 wrote:
WE ARE NUMBER ONE IN THE SOUTH.

WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON.

INTO:

KING ALFRED
THE PRINCE OF WALES
NORTHAM CLUB
ROYAL OAK.

WE WILL BE AT ST MARY'S TO SEE THE MIGHTY SAINTS SMASH QPR.

F*CK OFF 'ARRY. WE H8 POMPEY.

RED ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMY.
What's wrong with the Joshua Tree?
It looks good on the outside, it's a bit ough on he inside and ell, It smells a bit fuggy on match days. There now you have it!

Hang on a minute, it. It Sounds a bit like the other pubs as well mentioned by red army. What is wrong with JT??!

Thornhill Saint says...
9:52pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Thornhill Saint wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
RedArmy1 wrote:
WE ARE NUMBER ONE IN THE SOUTH.

WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON.

INTO:

KING ALFRED
THE PRINCE OF WALES
NORTHAM CLUB
ROYAL OAK.

WE WILL BE AT ST MARY'S TO SEE THE MIGHTY SAINTS SMASH QPR.

F*CK OFF 'ARRY. WE H8 POMPEY.

RED ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMY.
What's wrong with the Joshua Tree?
It looks good on the outside, it's a bit ough on he inside and ell, It smells a bit fuggy on match days. There now you have it!

Hang on a minute, it. It Sounds a bit like the other pubs as well mentioned by red army. What is wrong with JT??!
Spoke to some nice saints birds in JT last time was in. Never seen the female saints supporter type really in the Chapel arms or Prince Albert for example.

Baddesley Bill says...
9:57pm Thu 28 Feb 13

I'm all up for goal line technology...but that's where it ends for me.

Football is the flowing game that we all love to see (despite the occaisional poor decision)....let's try to keep it that way.

Thornhill Saint says...
10:02pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Baddesley Bill wrote:
I'm all up for goal line technology...but that's where it ends for me.

Football is the flowing game that we all love to see (despite the occaisional poor decision)....let's try to keep it that way.
Totally agree

florida saint says...
10:02pm Thu 28 Feb 13

great to sea fotos of rickie in a proper saints shirt, u t s.

st1halo says...
12:57am Fri 1 Mar 13

Strasbourg Saint wrote:
Velleity wrote:
And, back on topic, who gives a toss about the technology? Bad decisions balance out over a season. People used to be able to live with it but it takes maturity to do that. All this will do is lead to calls for more and more technology that isn't available to a team on a Sunday morning.

One of the great things about footy was always that playing after school you were playing to exactly the same rules as in the World Cup final. No longer. A sad day.
I give a t0ss, Velleity, and - big club bias and all that - I DON'T believe things even themselves out over a season. If someone can prove me wrong, I'll take it on the chin, but I doubt anyone can.

Also, I fail to see what point you (and Retford in an earlier thread) are trying to make about the professional game being the same as the one played after school (with jumpers for posts etc.). Try as I might, I can't remember having refs and flag-waving assistants on the local rec when, as kids, we turned our pullies into posts; neither can I remember getting 20 grand a week for doing so. The similarities start and end with a football and the final score.

And, while I'm not advocating that it's used for everything, I don't think we should stop at technology to check if the ball has crossed the line.

How many 'hand of God' goals, Lampard or Hirst strikes, penalty-winning dives or shirt pulls will it take before available technology is used (partly to correct certain decisions during a game or to fully punish offenders after a game) to ensure that the game becomes fairer and cleaner?

Bring it on!
Agree with you Stras. The money involved in the game means that fair play must be ensured.
I'm not so sure about this goal=line technology as one system is computer based and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before some clever b@stard cheats it.
I would prefer a tv based approach. It can be done in real time these days and doesn't really effect delays any more than the usual incidents. Limited to offsides, penalties and goal disputes which are the most difficult and disputed decisions in a normal game.
I think it is necessary now because a) the stakes are so high and b) the standard of refereeing is woefully inadequate.

STID

Velleity says...
7:41am Fri 1 Mar 13

Hang on. Will you be complaining about "big club bias" when we're up at the top of the Prem benefiting from it in a couple of years?

adscm says...
10:38am Fri 1 Mar 13

Velleity wrote:
And, back on topic, who gives a toss about the technology? Bad decisions balance out over a season. People used to be able to live with it but it takes maturity to do that. All this will do is lead to calls for more and more technology that isn't available to a team on a Sunday morning.

One of the great things about footy was always that playing after school you were playing to exactly the same rules as in the World Cup final. No longer. A sad day.
There's more money at stake in the World Cup final, the Premier League and indeed the Football Leagues than there is in a "Sunday in the Parks" League.

Goal-line technology is long overdue as long as it doesn't delay of disrupt the flow of a match.

adscm says...
10:56am Fri 1 Mar 13

Strasbourg Saint wrote:
Velleity wrote:
And, back on topic, who gives a toss about the technology? Bad decisions balance out over a season. People used to be able to live with it but it takes maturity to do that. All this will do is lead to calls for more and more technology that isn't available to a team on a Sunday morning.

One of the great things about footy was always that playing after school you were playing to exactly the same rules as in the World Cup final. No longer. A sad day.
I give a t0ss, Velleity, and - big club bias and all that - I DON'T believe things even themselves out over a season. If someone can prove me wrong, I'll take it on the chin, but I doubt anyone can.

Also, I fail to see what point you (and Retford in an earlier thread) are trying to make about the professional game being the same as the one played after school (with jumpers for posts etc.). Try as I might, I can't remember having refs and flag-waving assistants on the local rec when, as kids, we turned our pullies into posts; neither can I remember getting 20 grand a week for doing so. The similarities start and end with a football and the final score.

And, while I'm not advocating that it's used for everything, I don't think we should stop at technology to check if the ball has crossed the line.

How many 'hand of God' goals, Lampard or Hirst strikes, penalty-winning dives or shirt pulls will it take before available technology is used (partly to correct certain decisions during a game or to fully punish offenders after a game) to ensure that the game becomes fairer and cleaner?

Bring it on!
Thoroughly agree 100%.

Football has been living in the dark ages for too long with regard to technology, blatant cheating and even player/manager-power over the referees. All because for too long the sport has been run by 'dinosaur' adminiistrators.

Here's my suggested solution for just one problem in football, that of diving to gain a penalty.

Don't give the player a yellow card, give him a red with an automatic 3 match ban.

As soon as the managers realise that they can't afford to have their best players out for three matches, regardless of what league the club is in, they will instruct their players not to dive. The problem, IMO, will be solved within a month.

It annoys me intensely that that these "finely tuned athletes" (a) can be supposedly knocked over by the merest touch of a feather and (b) have no sporting pride, honour or battling committment to try and stay on their feet when fighting for the ball against a defender.

If I did that in my parks matches I would be totally embarrassed and ashamed of myself. And that's with just one man and his dog watching. To do it in front of thousands of spectators in the stadium and millions watching on television should be humiliating for the player concerned.

Rant over!!!!

Strasbourg Saint says...
2:49pm Fri 1 Mar 13

Velleity wrote:
Hang on. Will you be complaining about "big club bias" when we're up at the top of the Prem benefiting from it in a couple of years?
Yes, I will. I already moan if I see a Saints player cheating. The only cheating that's allowed IMO is against Argentina (sorry Poch). I will NEVER forgive the hand of God.

...... and the little Strassies know what awaits them if I EVER see them cheat.

Strasbourg Saint says...
2:55pm Fri 1 Mar 13

ADSCM (& Halo) well put. As for diving, of course, it MUST be clear; that is, proved to be cheating (note JayRod at Villa). However, if it can be claerly shown (probably after a match rather than on the spot in many cases) then I would give a one-match immediate ban for cheating, plus one match if a goal (penalty) is scored and one match for each point gained by his club (max five-match ban).

More Echo Sport